PDA

View Full Version : No start when hot

brighty
06-12-2015, 04:07
Long time since I've been on the forum and have tried the search but not happening for me tonight.
I have a 6.2 but not sure of age as it's been transplanted into my HJ60 cruiser prior to me getting it.
I'm having a bit of trouble with the old girl when she's up to running temps. can start ok when cold or after a short run, but when it's at normal running temps and I shut it off it just doesn't want to start. It will turn over and keep on doing so but not actually start.
It's getting fuel no worries and everything seems fine so I'm assuming this is going to be a low compression thing?
Will have to organise to get a compression test done on all cylinders but in the mean time, any suggestions??

trbankii
06-12-2015, 06:14
Warm start issues are typically a sign of either poor fuel atomization (weak/worn out fuel injection system), not enough timing advance, low compression, or low cranking speed.

brighty
06-12-2015, 06:39
Warm start issues are typically a sign of either poor fuel atomization (weak/worn out fuel injection system), not enough timing advance, low compression, or low cranking speed.

I know the battery is a bit on the down side but still cranks same when either cold or at running temps so guess it's either renew injectors or low compression? Not sure on the whole timing advance thing though

trbankii
06-12-2015, 07:09
If the battery is known to be suspect, I’d start there.

MajMike
06-12-2015, 16:17
If the battery is known to be suspect, I’d start there.

I have same issue and think it's the glowplugs, whenever they light off no prob but when they don't no joy. I/m trying to put together a manual override.

Robyn
06-12-2015, 16:58
The other issue when you have a hard start HOT is a worn out injection pump

The plungers are worn enough that it can't make enough pressure to "pop" the injectors.

Try adding a couple 3 quarts of 2 cycle oil to the fuel tank.

This will add some "Thickener" to the fuel and allow the pump to make pressure.

The other thing you can do is pour cool water over the pump and cool it off.

If either of these gets the old girl going, then the IP is tired.

Likely time for rebuilt pump and injectors.

Give it a go with the oil or cool water and keep us in the loop

Robyn

phantom309
06-12-2015, 16:58
I know the battery is a bit on the down side but still cranks same when either cold or at running temps so guess it's either renew injectors or low compression? Not sure on the whole timing advance thing though

It's the injection pump,.next time its hot and won't start,. take a big glass of cold water and pour over the pump,. see if she goes,.

the internal clearances are too large when its hot and the fuel is too thin,..

common 6.2 mechanical pump problem,.

nick