PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 relocate current pmd

Covi-6.5
06-03-2015, 14:46
New the the 6.5 scene. I'm not having any problems with my current pmd but I want to relocate it anyways. I just got in everything that I need to move it the the front of the grill. Do I need a plate to cover up the place where it was on the ip pump? Can I reuse the resistor that I already have?

Dvldog8793
06-03-2015, 15:15
Howdy
Welcome!
No plate needed, the old resistor is fine.
What do you have to mount the PMD to?

Covi-6.5
06-03-2015, 16:16
I was gonna go to radio shack or somewhere and make a heat sink. And then do the heat transfer paste.

Dvldog8793
06-03-2015, 17:56
Howdy
Make sure the sink is large enough and as flat as possible.
Make sure that you evenly torque the mounting screws.
Don't use too much of the paste, just a very thin film.

DieselDavy
06-04-2015, 10:17
If I were you, I'd call John Kennedy from Kennedy Diesel.(member and advertiser here) He can hook you up with a heat sink and/or extension cable made just for this application.
I'm an electronics engineer for the defense industry and have access to heat sink stock and compound but to tell you the truth, it wasn't worth my time to do it when he has a turn key solution ready to go. Also, make sure the transistor screws are tight before you mount it. I'm pretty sure most of these issues with PDMs are caused by poor heat transfer and loose hardware is most likely the culpret! CALL JOHN!
Dave

Kennedy
06-04-2015, 12:51
In my opinion it is not worth the effort to remove an existing Pump mounted driver. You are better off to simply leave it there, unplug, and extend to a new driver mounted to a quality cooler. Properly sized, flat and anodized surface to prevent corrosion are 3 key features that most lack.

Covi-6.5
06-04-2015, 16:37
The entire reason behind removing my current one was to save a couple hundred dollars. Mine is fine. I had already bought the extension cable. Moved it today. Works awesome where I put it. Behind the front bumper. I had everything for the heat sink.
I don't have a problem investing a couple hours time to save some money. Bought the truck from my father in law for 1800.00. He just had the engine rebuilt and bought new heads for it. New injection pump and all. I just had to install the engine. It's a 1994 gmc 3500 4 door dually. Pretty good buy also has a new jasper transmission.