PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up, or thumbs down on this offer???

markrinker
01-18-2005, 13:04
Need member input on this one:

Truck #3 is in the GM shop (see other posting about Two 4L80E Trannies in Two Weeks) and I have made the fatal mistake of test driving a 2005 K3500 Duramax/Allison LS package, extended cab, longbox, 3.73 dually cab/chassis truck.

After two rounds of dickering, here is the current offer from the dealership that is on the table:

My truck #3 plus $15,700. Terms: Dealer to swap plow frame and wiring over to new truck ($1200 new installed), e-brake controller ($300 new installed).

However: Truck will still need new 10' bed, drop bumper and receiver hitch (~$2500). Bank note on #3 is 18K even, for a total of $36,200.

Other factors: #3 has 38K miles and is out of warranty. An extended drivetrain warranty to 100K will cost ~2K. The new Duramax has 100K drivetrain warranty included.

The 6.0L gasser has plenty of power (300hp) but yields terrible mileage - about 7-9 average loaded, 9-11 unloaded with its 4.10 gearing. It is also a regular cab LS package, and does not go hunting with kid, guns, dog very well. Nicest work truck I've owned, however.

The Duramax power-to-mileage ratio is better, interior is identical (except matts no carpet), but diesel has been expensive and the truck payments are going to be higher than my first mortgage payment. Oh and it has those kick-a** extendable towing mirrors, too.

Good deal or no?

[ 01-18-2005, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Billman
01-18-2005, 13:30
Sounds like you've already made up your mind and are looking for justification.

Do it.

Lots of luck with your new truck Mark...

More Power
01-18-2005, 13:31
I'm just daydreaming......

Locate a totaled Chevy/GMC with a D/A, and do a swap...... It's an easy swap to upgrade a gas powered 2001 or newer 2500HD/3500 with a D/A. Wrecked D/A trucks go for about $7500 if you know someone with a salvage license.

Once the swap is complete, sell all the stuff you don't need. Total cost could be something on the order of $5K.

MP

Dvldog 8793
01-18-2005, 13:35
Howdy
I would see if the dealer will let you "test drive" the D-max for a week or two. :D If not then buy it!
One other thing is that the dealer might be playing you as he has your truck in the shop and his new truck on the lot. might not hurt to shop around.....
Possible to still find a 2004 on the lot some place??

markrinker
01-18-2005, 13:36
Wow. What an idea, MP...

Dvldog - they have committed to cover the tranny under warranty either way. (Ironically, the Service Manager is my ex-wifes live-in boyfriend. Weird, huh? He's been perpetually test driving my trade-in. smile.gif

I bet the 6.0L/4L80E/ECM would drop easily in my '79 Z-28 roadrace chassis, too...just need a harness.

Hmmmm...

Kennedy
01-18-2005, 14:39
You'll find that many do not like the OE power extendable mirrors as the field of vision is too small...

What do you figure truck #3 is worth on the open market? With rebates/incentives etc. you may be best off to buy outright as the trade dickering is where the confusion really starts...

markrinker
01-18-2005, 19:07
I think its about a 19-20K truck, but only a small market due to the flatbed and regular cab. Hard to sell quick - maybe to a landscaper / contractor in the springtime. Its clean and very few if any blemishes at this point. (Hadn't had it long enough to get it properly broke in smile.gif

Dihrdbowti
01-18-2005, 20:55
At least you had the cahones to drive the D-max.. If I ever get to I'm sure the Yukon would be gone... That's why I haven't don't want another mortgage payment... =)

Cowracer
01-19-2005, 05:00
I feel your pain.

I too have thoughts of selling the old '94 and getting something newer. The money is an issue, for sure. But the thing that keeps me from selling out is that I have serious time invested in it.

I know every twitch and hiccup in the thing. I know the history of the 6.5 and what to watch for and so on. I even know the secret "cold-start handshake" This is the anti-theft feature that prevents anyone else but me from getting it lit off on a frosty morning.

It took me 5 years to get comfortable with the thing, I am not ready to start all over again.

(proabaly the same reason I won't get divorced) <ducking and running for cover> :D

Tim

markrinker
01-19-2005, 15:14
I plan to keep the two 1994 plow/tow rigs. Right now, they are in good mechanical condition and serve the purpose of plowing many thousands of cubic yards of snow each season.

However, they are not up to the ever increasing loads, longer and longer road miles that the next rig will see.

#2 put in a brutal summer and fall - 40K miles since the motor swap in June, alternately hauling 6-8K loads of aluminum bar stock, with returns of 10-12K of hay. 750 miles round trip, nearly three full tanks of fuel each day, many times two days per week.

Its time to put them into reserve duty before shelling out money for a(nother) new motor. I wish the 6.0L could get the job done, but it simply isn't up to task.

Bobbie Martin
01-20-2005, 07:11
Just something to consider. This morning I received an email from GM with an offer for current GM owners to get an additional $1500 rebate on any new GM vehicle purchased before January 31. This is above and beyond any other dealer or factory rebates. You may have got this as well, but if not send me an email and I can forward this to you. Could be a regional deal, but its worth checking out.