PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Diesel Suburban 4x4

DmaxCC6spd
05-26-2015, 17:34
I'm trying to locate a decent diesel Suburban with 4 wheel drive. I've tried some of the common used car search site with very little luck.

Does anyone have better ideas regarding websites to search? What years are the most desirable? Problems to watch out for - any help or advice appreciated.

trbankii
05-27-2015, 07:47
Well, as you know, they never put the Duramax in the Suburban so you’d be looking at 1982-91 (6.2) or 1992-99 (6.5). People have done Duramax conversions, but they’ll be hard to find and expensive if you want to buy one.

As for desirability and problems, that would pretty much be the same as any Suburban of the same year for body and features and any GM diesel of the same year for powertrain - i.e: body styling changes over the years, the issues in ’94 with the EFI introduction, etc.

As for where to look, it mostly depends on how far you want to travel. I’m currently trying to resist one I found locally on craigslist. I see them on eBay, the local Auto Trader, and even the government auction sites. Just a matter of knowing what you’re looking for and going to the trouble to keep looking until you find it.

a5150nut
05-28-2015, 17:52
This one is just up the road from me in Knoxville

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/4991104528.html