PDA

View Full Version : How well did it start in the cold this morning.

Govt issue
01-18-2005, 06:53
Alot of you guys live in what i would consider extream conditions. I ask this question every year, and i am amazed at the post. Where i live it got to 15 last night My truck was pluged in and it started like it was 85 outside. The day before it was 18 not pluged in. Rattled and smoked, for about 40sec but ran good. So here is the real question. How well did it start and how cold did it get. Also input from the dmax guys. Also the coldest you have ever started or tried to crank in cold weather.

arrowheadracing
01-18-2005, 07:58
Well it didnt start for me this morning , I forgot to plug in. I woke up turned on the tv -1 outside. I plugged it in and waited three hours and it started , reluctant, but it did.

Todd

Michigan

markrinker
01-18-2005, 08:31
I replace all 8 glows and controller last week in #1. Sat unplugged over the weekend, no start at -15 or so yesterday. Batteries new as well. Crank but no combustion.

Plugged in and they start in a few seconds, regardless of outside temps. If cold, they need at least 3 hours on the heat, 4 is best.

Jim P
01-18-2005, 14:35
You guys need a manual glow plug button.

My truck has 18:1 compression thus making it a little harder to start so I use my manual glow plug button to give it longer glows even in the summer.

When I bought my truck the crank was broke and had been setting for a long time. Both batteries were completely dead. I rebuilt the motor and started driving it about 1 1/2 years ago. I am still using those batteries that came in the truck. They are about shot.

This morning it was 1 degree fahrenheit and mine was not plugged in. I glowed for about 20 seconds plus whatever the pcm gives me and it started on about the third revolution. I don't think the batteries would have had enough juice to get three more revolutions. The motor was turning that slow.

Make those glow plugs glow a little longer and you won't believe it. It just starts like a gasser.

jspringator
01-18-2005, 14:49
4 degrees last night; forgot to garage it, turned over, hit, but wouldn't start after 3 short tries. Didn't want to totally kill the batteries, so I waited until this afternoon, plugged it in for an hour, and started right up. smile.gif

MikeC
01-18-2005, 16:31
Zero out this morning. Didn't plug it in. Cranked and fired right away but ran a little rough for about 30 seconds.

New glow plugs about 6 months ago, new starter in October and red top Optimas this past spring.

I really think the 5W Rotella Synthetic in the crankcase made it turn easier.

Mike

nigeljones
01-18-2005, 17:25
This is a very interesting subject and one I'm struggling with.
Up until last year my Suburban has never been plugged in. The cable was still wire tied in place and I was worried about the cable cracking from fatigue when I plugged it in this year for the first time. It has started in all weather down to -10 deg F. It is 9 years old and now has 150,000 miles on it. This year it has started to play up, I have replaced the plugs, terminals and now the timer. It was 8 deg F on Saturday and it started fine, however, Sunday started rough misfiring for about 30-40 sec. I often winter camp and need it to start without question, as where I go there are no plug inns. I have thought about buying a Honda Generator where I could use it for my trailer in the summer - seems like a lot of money though. I believe there is a revised plug that glows hotter, and longer, maybe I will give them a try.

It must be cylinder compression droping off, don't you think.

Nigel

kevin77
01-18-2005, 18:27
This morning, about 5 degree F, Started right up (was in heated garage) ;->

But when I have left it out all day at the train station and its been 10 to 15 F - it will start up... Although I annoy everyone else in the parking lot when I get the smoke screen up for a minute or two...

Kevin

charliepeterson
01-18-2005, 19:20
Near zero for three days outside with no plug in. Long glow cycle with a little longer crank and she lit off.

Dihrdbowti
01-18-2005, 20:48
Although we don't get quite as cold as some of you guys here in Reno the last few weeks it has been pretty cold. I think even in single digits. Mostof the time I plug in but one morning I didn't and I actually started quicker than when I plug in. Maybe the longer glow cycle maybe my block heater not working that well (don't really notice that the heat/defroster comes on any sooner when the block heater is plugged in) although when plugged in the glow cycle is shorter. I have also cycled the ign throught the glow cycle shut it off for about 20 sec then let it go through the cycle again before cranking this seems to help as well on those cold mornings. Anyone know what temp the coolant should be after being plugged in overnight??

TurboDiverArt
01-19-2005, 03:02
Originally posted by Dihrdbowti:
Although we don't get quite as cold as some of you guys here in Reno the last few weeks it has been pretty cold. I think even in single digits. Mostof the time I plug in but one morning I didn't and I actually started quicker than when I plug in. Maybe the longer glow cycle maybe my block heater not working that well (don't really notice that the heat/defroster comes on any sooner when the block heater is plugged in) although when plugged in the glow cycle is shorter. I have also cycled the ign throught the glow cycle shut it off for about 20 sec then let it go through the cycle again before cranking this seems to help as well on those cold mornings. Anyone know what temp the coolant should be after being plugged in overnight?? Lift the hood and the themo-housing should be warm to the touch. If not your block heater or cord is shot.

I started in 8 degrees last night after being parked at work for 10 hours. I had flicked my oil pan heater on 2 hours previously (inverter in truck). She started but smoked for a while. I don't run synthetic but the oil pan heater should heat the oil up nicely.

Art.

Dihrdbowti
01-19-2005, 06:01
Thanks Art.

95C3500Cheyenne
01-19-2005, 18:35
The last few nights it has reached singal digits on the hill here in CHA (Signal Mtn). The #*&%^N PMD is showing itself here.One night ol' bertha wasn't plugged in, she started on the first cycle. When she is plugged in, she rolls over and says "no". I must let the *&$%#N thing cycle over (batteries & glow plugs) before she will finally start. I almost run the batteries (red tops less than 1 yr.) go completely down (volt meter for what it is worth is just above 9). As I have told Christian at RemarQ, I am recieving a Code 35 very regulary except at 2500 rpm constant. I am hoping SOL-D will help here as I have the most recent upgrades on the pump. Due to the nature of the *&^&%%N PMD, I leave the truck runnin most all day when I can. When I leave it runnin though, I can put the pedal down a little bit after Idle (ie. Get on the Interstate) she will start coughin' like a SOB.

I have found this one thing to be true. Run this engine, run this engine, and when your done runnnin her, let her run some more. It has been the best thing. I wish that Eaton Fuller made a tranny for her. Love the ol' truck.

damork
01-20-2005, 18:43
Mine fired off after being cold soaked at 5 degrees F with a very little white smoke, not plugged in.

I had Amoco Premier diesel with Stanadyne blue, 5w-40 Rotella synthetic, over 125,000 miles on injectors and glow plugs, batteries are 1 year old, over 200,000 on the engine, 85,000 miles on pump.

I give most of the credit to it starting like it does to the DSG cam gears I've been running for about 40k.

JohnC
01-21-2005, 08:14
If your truck won't start consistantly at 0*F with no preheat and 15W-40, then something is wrong. (Unless you live in Denver. Different rules apply...) It may spit and smoke a bit, but it should start. I'm running 5W-40 Rotella this winter but never did before. I don't even bother to plug it in unless I know it's going to be below zero. And this is at 2000 ft above sea level. At sea level it's even better...

I've got 130K+ miles on the injectors and over 100K on the pump. The glow plugs from John Kennedy made it even better, but it was reliable with the plugs it left the factory with up until last summer when I changed them.

[ 01-21-2005, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: JohnC ]

Fredeberle
01-21-2005, 11:19
5 degrees this morning, after sitting outside for 3 days engine cranked for 2 seconds and fired up, ran rough for 3 more seconds and then smoothed right out. A bit of white smoke first few seconds.
New batteries in November.

Kidd
01-22-2005, 18:55
Temp dropped to -48 the other night, no way the truck would start. Fuel had gelled. Changed filter, waited till it warmed up to -35, and it lit right off. Might have to hunt up some kerosene if this happens again. :(

K.D.