PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations

Dvldog8793
05-05-2015, 10:38
Howdy
I have the intake and IP off of my daughters 1998 Suburban.
Any recommendations of things to do while I am in there....???
Thanks!

More Power
05-05-2015, 11:12
Service the fuel filter... Check the fuel filter assy for leaks. Make sure all of the fuel return lines are in good shape. It's easy to replace the oil pressure sw with the intake off - just stuff all of the intake runners in the heads with pieces of clean cloth to prevent tools/crud/hardware from falling into the heads.

Robyn
05-05-2015, 18:02
Having been close to a fellow who sucked a rag down an intake port and ruined a 6.5, ahhhhh, clean the mating surface well, wipe with brakekleen and tape with duct tape.

No possibility of leaving anything behind when you pull the tape off.

Even a fairly small piece of rag will/can ruin things, as there is very little room in the cyl with the piston up.

The factory special tools actually has some screens that snapped into the ports to stop things from falling in.

What Jim said :)

Robyn
05-05-2015, 18:20
Just an FYI

The fellow in question had been dealing with a fuel line leak IIRC and had the intake off fiddling with the lines (Fresh rebuilt 6.5) as there was one leaking.

He got the leaker fixed up and decided to put it to bed for the night, and covered the ports with some red rags.

Awhile later he got a bug in his A$$ to listen to it one more time before hitting the rack for the night and enjoy ther smooth cackle of his fresh 6.5

He reached in and flipped the switch and seconds after it came to life all hell broke loose and the engine banged, crunched and stalled.

Moments later the coolant could be heard draining into the crankcase through the blown out cylinder wall.

A red rag had sucked into a port and most of it entered the cylinder.

GAME OVER

VERY UGLY
FRESHLY MACHINED BLOCK ETC, TRASHED

More Power
05-06-2015, 12:19
It does happen Robyn... Good catch.

I put a taped-on note on the steering wheel saying what needs to be done before cranking. Alternately, you could pull the starter fuse. When it doesn't crank, you'll have an ah-ha moment.