PDA

View Full Version : Does the power steering fluid type matter for a for flush?

97Suburban
05-02-2015, 15:17
Hi folks & Guru's:)

I need to do a full PS pump flush this eve...
So..

Does the power steering fluid type matter for a full flush?

Will the AutoZone brand in a quart or gallon jug be perfect or should I use some other brand of synthetic, Oh whatever autozone carries?

And on a different subject, I was there this morning and I see they now sell DOT3 synthetic brake fluid, should I use regular or syth brake fluid?

Thanks for the help !

Dvldog8793
05-02-2015, 17:20
The regular cheap stuff for a clean out is fine....they do make a high mileage type that might be what you want to run in it after you clean it out.

I use synthetic with an additive for mine, but it is probably overkill.

I have tried all different types of brake fluid and never noticed a difference in my brake performance. The main issue is boil point and how that relates to what type of driving you do. If you live with lots of hills and do some heavy braking then you need some really good brake fluid. if you live in the flat lands and commute then regular dot3 is probably fine.

As a side note, the best improvement I ever did for my brakes was stainless lines, meaning replaced the rubber lines with stainless. Real seat of the pants difference.

Hope this helps

BigK
06-01-2015, 08:42
I generally use the super cheap stuff for flushing then blend in a power steering product that is synthetic [generally anything compatible with Honda/Foreign steering systems].

On my Hummer the Saginaw steering gear specifies Dextron III as the default fluid in our manuals, but AMG later stated power steering and synthetic power steering yielded better cooling and less chance at cavitation under heavy load.

I've used GM's synthetic power steering fluid for a few years [P/N: 89020661 but there may be a newer part number now]. I've also used Lucas and Royal Purple, whatever was on sale.

I sorta liked Royal Purple since if I had a purple leak I'd know I'd have a bad o-ring or a lose hose somewhere ;)