PDA

View Full Version : How to Deactivate Onstar

richp
04-26-2015, 11:52
Hi,

Just about the time I was going to discontinue my Onstar subscription anyway, the unit began malfunctioning. It repeatedly gives me an annoying message saying that it can't connect to Onstar. This happens not just when the key gets turned on, but also going down the road in the middle of a radio program. I can even hear it giving that message after I'm out of the truck and the door is locked.

Onstar tells me that they have tried to deactivate the unit, but in that process they were unable to contact the truck, and that it's a Chevy hardware problem. I can't find a fuse dedicated to this sub-system, nor do my internet searches provide any clear path to a solution.

Is there a way for an owner to stop the Onstar component from functioning, or is this something I'm going to have to go to my dealer for?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

cabletech
04-26-2015, 15:45
Pull fuse 22 (info) from the fuse panel in cab on driver side of instrument panel.

Jay

a5150nut
04-26-2015, 18:39
Pull fuse 22 (info) from the fuse panel in cab on driver side of instrument panel.

Jay

Does this also make the vehicle untraceable?

richp
04-27-2015, 04:55
Hi Cabletech,

One of the problems I read about in my prior research was that if you pull the fuse, you lose some other necessary systems, and start throwing codes. Insofar as you know, does pulling fuse 22 kill Onstar without altering anything else?

All I want to do is kill the annoying message, and am trying to avoid having to pay a dealer, if I can.

cabletech
04-27-2015, 05:19
The fuse removes the power from the onstar unit.I don't know if it removes power from anything else. I have never left it out, I have only removed it to flash one of the computers in the truck. If you want to pull the wires or remove the onstar unit, it's below the radio and behind the heater control.

Jay

richp
04-29-2015, 13:12
Hi,

Anyone else have any experience deactivation Onstar permanently?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

richp
05-06-2015, 04:44
Hi,

So after a half a dealer shop hour and removal of one fuse, no codes are being set and I'm free of Onstar.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

Yukon6.2
05-17-2015, 09:52
Hi
On my 03 gasser,i had the ongoing message"trying to contact Onstar" and the radio or CD wouldn't work.I found the Onstar modal and unplugged it.Problem solved.
It was behind and above the glovebox.GM would not give me any info about it,they wanted me to bring in the truck to get scanned on their computer.I hope to never darken their rollup door.
Thomas