PDA

View Full Version : 4l80e swap behind 6.2l Diesel. need engine speed signal

suburban-marco
04-23-2015, 22:26
Hi Guys,
I'm in the process to swap my 4l80e in my 84 Suburban behind 6.2l Diesel.
I mount a tps via custom made adapter at the IP in place of the original tpswitch.
Now, I need an engine speed signal, too.
The hole time I thought, it will be easy, because I wanted to use a trigger- or reluctorring from the 6.5l engine with original engine speed sensor und original front cover with ess-opening. Now, it seems that there is NO chance to get that reluctor ring somewhere.
Is that right? Or did I overlooked something?
Btw, is the 6.5 camshaft similar to the 6.2 camshaft in that area, where the reluctor ring and harmonic balancer sit?
How did other guys get the ess from the 6.2l to use it for electronic shifted trannys?
Greetings Marco

DmaxMaverick
04-23-2015, 23:39
If you want the reluctor for the CPK (crank position sensor), you'll need the 6.5 balancer. Otherwise, you'll need to use the oil pump drive ESS generator. Contact www.peninsulardiesel.com (http://www.peninsulardiesel.com) for that part.

Robyn
04-24-2015, 07:57
I personally would go with the Oil pump drive that has the ESS.
Easy in out swap.

Now if you need vacuum for the HVAC then you will need to retain the pump or convert to a serp drive up front that has a vacuum pump.

There are trade off's either way.

garysleeman
04-26-2015, 10:04
Google search and download "The DB2 Conversion Guide" by Bobbie Martin and you will have all the info you need.