PDA

View Full Version : C3500 hd

crashz
04-17-2015, 09:28
Due to frame rust and integrity issues, I've decided to use my 87 1 ton for parts for my 83. I've been thinking of replacing it with something a little less rusty, ideally nothing that has plowed snow or carried a salter. Definitely not a municipal truck! I'm in no need for it right away, so I'm not really looking hard.

I did stumble across a good candidate recently. Its a 1999 GMC C3500HD (15K lbs GVWR truck), 2wd, 6.5L, 5 speed (I assume a NV4500?) with 203K miles. Its the short wheel base model (~135"). The add states that the engine was replaced at 100K miles. It looks rust free from the photos. Looks un-modified. Would be the ideal truck if it is truly as clean as it appears and had a 454 instead of 6.5L

So I was hoping to get some opinions from the 6.5L crowd. I'm familiar with the 6.2's (have owned 3), have read many threads here in the 6.5L section, but am not close to being an expert. From past threads and experience I'm going to check:
- Oil fill port for blow-by
- Upper radiator hose for excess pressure
- Fluid leaks
- Ease of starting
- Drivability
- Check engine light (should I bring my code reader?)
- Tail pipe smoke and color.

Year 2000: is that a bad year for the 6.5? I'll get details on the replacement engine.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Leo

crashz
04-23-2015, 07:57
Opportunity passed me. Somebody else scooped that truck up.

Kennedy
04-23-2015, 08:27
I guess the big question is what are you wanting the truck to do?

A 3500HD is a pretty heavy truck by pickup standards.

crashz
04-27-2015, 09:10
I need to haul stone, topsoil and firewood for myself and for my side business. I estimate between 10-15 times per year, but I would need to both deliver and haul away materials.

The C3500HD is a nice size for a one ton dump replacement. The reason I say this is because it can legally haul more than 1 cubic yard of soil. 1 yard of soil looks tiny in the back of a one ton truck, yet the weight (depending on soil type) is at GVWR.

I think this is the reason why Class 4 and 5 trucks are more popular now. With wood chips, mulch or lawn clippings, its hard to overload a Class 3 truck, but 3 yards of topsoil will get you in trouble.

So that was my focus. The 4500 and 5500 trucks are way out of my price range, but a dump is needed soon. Ironically, it may not involve a truck anymore. I'm thinking about a 10K lb dump trailer. I will be able to pull my Bobcat in the trailer and haul materials to and from as needed. Same with wood and materials at our land. And at the same capacity as the Class 5 truck (~7000 lbs payload).