PDA

View Full Version : extended range fuel tanks in bed

Ian7
04-05-2015, 13:09
Driven lots of trucks with them, but now in a first-time position to be buying one. Figured a transfer-Flow was a good choice, but a bit surprised by the $1300+ installed price for a53 gallon tank with pump, filter, and various bits. Anyone have any recent experience to support or refute that price range? Thanks.

CoyleJR
04-05-2015, 17:00
Ian7,
I have a 100 gallon RDS Manufacturing aluminum tank. It has a tool box on top of the tank and I have been very happy with the RDS product. I set it up as a gravity feed system with a check ball in the connection to the primary truck tank. The check ball keeps the truck tank full at all times and there is no need for a pump. Additionally, I installed a two qt. two micron fuel filter under the bed that the aux tank fuel passes through. I put all of my fuel into the aux tank and let it filter through the two micron filter. Keep in mind that you do pay a price in lower fuel mileage to haul the extra weight of the fuel, especially around town.
It has been about eight years but I believe the total cost of my tank & check ball kit was around $650.00 and I installed it myself.
RDS 1 (850) 584-6898 Perry Fl.
www.rdsaluminum,com

Good luck
John

AKMark
04-06-2015, 10:40
I have an 80 Gallon tank that I got used here in Alaska that had been in use keeping a mobile stove running. It had two nice mounts, it's only about 7" long, so it doesn't take up much of my bed. It does keep me from using the back window for much. I am pretty sure someone made it, that it's not a manufactured one. I have seen some at Lowe's that the price wasn't bad on.

I bought the filler kit from Amazon ($75 if I remember correctly) and plummed it into my main tank. It took me less than an hour to install the tank and filler kit.

I love the range and usability of the tank. It's awesome!