PDA

View Full Version : DB4 to DB2 Conversion San Diego

JohnSD
03-25-2015, 11:26
Good day, newbie here.
I am looking for a good mechanic to do a DB4 to DB2 swap on a low mile 96 6.5TD. My initial intention was to do it myself but with two kids, two dogs & two jobs, I can't find the time to get it done. I have all the necessary parts but not the necessary time. I have done countless local searches and I cant find anyone that really knows how to do this. This forum has popped up on several searches and you guys seem to know just about everything. I know there are a lot of ex & current military (thank you) guys out there that are intimately familiar with this motor & replacing the pump. I am hoping that someone on this forum either knows of, or is, that guy.
The motor is currently sitting on jack stands in my garage still attached to the 4L80e tranny (which I will be getting rid of).
Please let me know if you know of anyone who could get this done.
Thank you!
John

trbankii
03-25-2015, 16:21
Bobbie Martin on the board here wrote a booklet to guide you through the process. His contact info can be found at the end of this thread: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=24379

sctrailrider
03-25-2015, 17:35
If you are willing to take it to Tx there is someone on this forum that can do it... contact chevydiesel on this site if you wish to go that route...

JohnSD
03-25-2015, 20:43
Thanks guys, I have the Bobbie Martin PDF. My challenge is the time issue. That would pretty much negate taking it to TX too :)
I'm hoping some local 6.5/6.2 guru will find the post.
Cheers

Dvldog8793
03-26-2015, 04:30
Howdy
IMHO- MOST GOOD REAL mechanics should be able to handle this without any trouble.

Another idea is to look for a diesel injection service or a diesel turbo shop that has been around for awhile. In my area, there is no one listed a light diesel shop, but there are two diesel injection shops that rebuild pumps AND do installs and LOTS of diesel work. Probably one our best diesel shops is listed in the book as "turbo diesel electric service"....

Just some ideas...
Good luck!

john8662
03-30-2015, 10:55
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that this is in your project truck in your signature?

We can do it here in Texas!

John

JohnSD
04-02-2015, 09:24
Thanks John and you are correct in that the project is the Land Cruiser, and ironically enough, I will be in TX next week, but I don't think Southwest airlines will let me bring the 6.5 as a "carry on" :)
I'm reaching out to a few local diesel shops to see if I can drop the motor off & have them do the work.

DmaxMaverick
04-02-2015, 09:49
Who is installing the engine into the vehicle?

The actual "conversion" is the easy part, easily done in a single afternoon. If you can change a spark plug, it's a walk in the park. Once you source the parts, everything is a direct swap. The "work" begins during/after the install into the vehicle. Keep it simple, and it will be simple.