PDA

View Full Version : 97 2500 6.5 ses & stbs codes

Keith stone
03-18-2015, 15:55
I have a 1997 chevy 2500 6.5 with 256,xxx miles just replaced the ip, glow plugs, cleaned all the grounds. Truck keeps throwing service engine soon and service throttle body soon codes but when I code read it, it comes back with no codes. When the truck throws these codes the truck stalls and fails to stay running until the engine cools down. Can anyone please help me figure out what it could be

sctrailrider
03-19-2015, 10:16
Give us a little more info....

Said you changed injection pumps, did you have a GM scanner to reset the pump/computer ..... what scanner did you use if you did ....

You checked codes with a scanner, here again, what scanner did you use, most scanners will NOT work on the diesels....

rapidoxidationman
03-20-2015, 06:55
A diesel has a throttle body?
(I'm either asking a seriously dumb question or stating the obvious error in the OP's testing...)

DennisG01
03-20-2015, 08:48
Inexpensive scanners will usually work for standard powertrain codes, but will not work for ALL codes. If it's throwing codes up on the dash (CEL), and you're not able to read it, go to a shop that has a better reader and pay them to read it. Gotta find out what the codes are.

I'm wondering about that "throttle body" thing, too?

DmaxMaverick
03-20-2015, 09:42
The "throttle body" thing is an obvious misunderstanding. Your Diesel engine doesn't have one.

However, it does have an APP module (skinny pedal module), which may have issues if the STS (Service Throttle Soon) lamp is on. If the lamp is on, and the engine stops (stalls), then is able to start again later, the problem is most likely a communication error (poor connection/ground, somewhere), or a failing IP and/or ECM.