PDA

View Full Version : snake oil injector pump fix?

Dvldog8793
03-12-2015, 04:19
Howdy
We just bought a 1998 Sub with a 6.5, 230,000 miles. Nothing has ever been done to the engine, never had any problems. Probably a good one if it made it that long!
It is having some of the typical DS pump drivability issues. Surging, jumpy idle, and wont hold at constant rpm. So pretty sure it needs a new pump and I am sure injectors as well.
Question....Does anyone know of a "snake oil" fix that can help out or give this pump a few more miles? I just want to get into next year with it.

Not looking for a miracle, just some ideas that might help it out.

Thanks !

rapidoxidationman
03-12-2015, 06:24
Some would say a "diesel purge" might help. I've never done one myself, but I see the procedure hyped on a few other diesel sites (yep, there's others!) that I'm active in.

Here's one that could easily be adapted to your needs:

http://dieselgiant.com/injectorcleaning.htm

If you do it, let us know how it turns out!

AKMark
03-12-2015, 11:46
Sadly, many owners of Diesels 06 and older don't know they are supposed to run additives to increase the lubricity of fuel in their motors.

Trucks that haven't been getting those additives are more susceptible to requiring new injection pumps. I've had to change a few on the used trucks I've gotten.

arveetek
03-12-2015, 12:16
I've been having luck running a healthy dose of two-stroke oil in my fuel tank periodically. That's been helping with a sticking timing stepper motor.

Casey