PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plug Controller Question

KallyI
01-17-2005, 18:27
A mechanic at the plant I work at has 2 6.5L diesels, one in a pickup, and the other a Suburban. Both have the electronically controlled IP. I'm not sure what years they are. He told me that if 2 or more glowplugs fail, on one bank, the controller will shut down that bank of glow plugs. So if you happen to have 2 fail on each side, you will lose all the glow plugs. This doesn't seem right to me, but I don't have enough knowledge to refute his statement. Does anyone know the answer for sure?

More Power
01-17-2005, 19:33
All eight glow plugs are all wired together in all 6.5 glow systems. All glow plugs get power at the same time through the same common circuit, and the computer doesn't know whether one or all were good or bad. The computer only monitors whether the glow plugs are getting power.

The newest LLY Duramax monitors all eight plugs individually, and can set individual codes if one or more fail.

MP

KallyI
01-18-2005, 06:35
Thanks for the answer. I wonder where he got his information?

markrinker
01-18-2005, 08:34
Duramax envy...

markrinker
01-18-2005, 08:36
He must be suffering from Duramax envy, Powerstroke confusion, or Cummins fever.

JohnC
01-18-2005, 15:23
Maybe not so far off the mark...

Each bank is protected by a fusable link. If a short developed in one bank, the link for that bank would fail, leaving the other bank functional.

Dihrdbowti
01-18-2005, 21:11
I know that 6 out of 8 of my glow plugs were not working. The wires were completely rusted off. But with plugging it in and cycling the glow cycle a couple of times worked for me until I got the glow plugs replaced and new ends on the wires. Didn't have to replace any fusible links though.