PDA

View Full Version : Can Newer Style TPS Control TCC Lockup Directly?

joed
03-10-2015, 20:55
A question for those with more electrical knowledge than I:

I know TPS/700R4 topics have been covered greatly, but after searching I'm still wondering...

I've got a 'newer' style TPS (I think a sensor rather than a switch) and am wondering if I can use it to directly control the TCC lockup on my 700 trans? (I don't have a PCM on my 48 project Chevy).

Without any resistance hooked to it, the voltage seems to vary from 0 to ~7 volts through the throttle range. Hooked up to the trans, it has next to nothing for voltage.

My thought was to use it to trigger a lower voltage rated relay - I found one that's rated at 5V nominally-to then supply 12V to the lockup solenoid.

But again, with the relay hooked up, the TPS doesn't supply enough voltage to trigger it.

Maybe it's not possible with this sensor, or? I've seen examples of circuits to boost voltage, but am wondering if other options are ought there, short of getting a $$ TPSwitch for the earlier 6.2.

Thanks.

Joe.

john8662
03-11-2015, 06:58
No dice, this sensor won't carry the current necessary to activate a coil on a relay.

Find a 6.2L Throttle Position Switch to handle your lockup and unlock capabilities.

AKMark
03-11-2015, 09:45
I've used this product on a 74 K-5 and it worked great.

I've made my own kits cheaper since.

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=336