PDA

View Full Version : engine struggerling to start

The Bandit
03-04-2015, 12:52
Hi all you fellow Rv,ers across the pond,Ive got a Gulf Stream Sun Voyager,[94] with GM6.5td V8,Its struggerling to start,once it fires no problem pulls like steam train,There is plenty of power in the engine batteries,i have 150watt solar panel split charging lesure batteries as well,also got a Sterling Bat to Bat charger fitted,pushing 14.5amps into them when engine is running.I thought it might be a glow plug down,or fuel filter full of crap.aux pump from tank working ok.Its going in for service on tuesday 10th March.Hopefully somebody can put me out of my misery,and give me an idea what it might be.All the best The Bandit:)

rustyk
03-06-2015, 15:44
It could be glow plugs, but first I'd clean all grounds (earths) to the engine block and tranny. It could also be a bad glow plug controller, but if the dash light comes on, not likely.

trbankii
03-06-2015, 17:26
As Rusty says, I’d check all the grounds - but also check the condition of the other battery cables too. You’ll find a fair amount of discussion here about how the cables deteriorate over time and how some have gone to fabricating their own cables out of welding cable. Also using a Ford solenoid to deliver more power directly to the starter.