PDA

View Full Version : wheel stud conversion for aluminum wheels

tuhijo_2000@yahoo.com
02-27-2015, 18:25
I have an 85 k20 4x4 suburban and my brother in law had 4 aluminum wheels from a 2004 2500hd truck. Wheel bolt pattern fits fine. In order for me to be able to secure the wheel properly as well as being able to install hub caps, I have to switch the lug nut studs to be able to use those wheel nuts on my suburban. Has anyone done this conversion?

john8662
03-03-2015, 14:29
Sounds like the stud thread pitch and size is different than that of the late model truck that the wheels and nuts came from.

Yeah, you'd have to change the studs to remedy that.

Research the thread type used on the 85 and then that of the vintage that the donor wheels came from.

It's possible.

Dr. Lee
03-23-2015, 17:09
I had to put LONGER studs in my 1984 C-10 to accommodate both rear disc brakes and aluminum wheels.

I popped out one stud and went to the biggest NAPA store in Miami, the one that stocks parts for all the other NAPA stores, and got a friendly clerk to match up as best as possible a longer stud of the same thread specs. Even then the knurling was about 20 thousandths oversize, and I had to turn the knurl down with my lathe to get them to fit without excessive press fit pressure.

Good luck in your quest to use the fine wheels you have acquired :) .

Dr. Lee