PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical injection pump external fuel adjustment?

brandongarnold02
01-29-2015, 07:59
I have a 94 k3500 converted to mechanical pump. I turned the fuel up for a gain in power but for every day driving there is quite a bit of black smoke when going through the gears especially around town. Is there any possible way to install some sort of external fuel adjustment possibly between the fuel filter module and injection pump for quick adjustments. In example, for everyday driving and the occasional tow?

Robyn
01-29-2015, 08:44
Sadly there is not.

The adjustment you turned is what changes the amount of fuel the plungers are allowed to take on, and if you throttle is at the filter it will cause the transfer pump to "suck a hole" in the fuel so to speak, and the engine will act just like a plugged filter and run poor.

Sorry to say, but the only way is to remove the top of the IP and squeak the power screw back some.

The other way is to change the turbo to get a faster spool up and more air into the engine at low speed.

Missy

bowtiebutler
01-29-2015, 20:32
I know they make these for the DB2's for the Ford IDI diesels. They are called the Hypermax Smoke Puff Limiter. I don't know if they'll fit our DB2's.
http://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=d9ee0536-6204-46a6-8455-a3a12867ecce

Matt

Robyn
01-30-2015, 07:14
Yesssssssssssssss

I was not aware of these units for the DB2

Aneroids have been used on other diesels over the years

The unit you referenced may fit and work.

Call Hypermax and pick their brain.

Good luck

Missy

convert2diesel
01-30-2015, 10:25
Looked at these a couple of years ago and they should work. All they do is restrict rack travel until the puffer spools up.

Thought this might be adjusted to allow a fuel economy mode and a power mode by coupling it to an electrical restrictor like a vacuum switch. That way you could keep it in economy mode for daily use and flip a switch if you had a trailer out back, or just wanted to get somewhere faster.

Bill