PDA

View Full Version : Questions about using 6.5 parts on a 6.2

Lonesome7.3
01-27-2015, 19:18
I have a military CUCV with a 6.2 sitting out back I hope to get to at some point. Even though I will not start the build for a while I am always looking for parts to stick back. I pulled the parts I was missing for a turbo swap today. The truck I found them on is in a salvage yard and complete. I would like to get the accessories and serpentine brackets. What all should I get for this swap? I have read the tech articles but I have seen several different approaches to this. Am I on the right track here at least? Does the year of the 6.5 matter?

Lonesome7.3
01-28-2015, 13:55
Another question I forgot to ask. I noticed a mixture of standard and metric fasteners when removing the the parts I did. I cannot take my whole tool box to the salvage yard with me. What tools should I make a point to have?

Robyn
01-29-2015, 08:48
These engines are metric

The only place you should find US standard stuff is the bell housing, butttttttttttttt, the mil stuff may be an exception that I am unfamiliar with.

Good luck at the bone yard.

Missy

Lonesome7.3
01-29-2015, 08:51
I really did not want to get into an engine swap. But the moreIi think about it I might be better off just doing that instead.

Robyn
01-29-2015, 09:54
The only difference will be accessories that may be peculiar to the mil stuff.

The engine proper is identical.

Any accessories from the civy stuff bolts right on.

The only non metric bolts are the bell housing bolts, and that goes only to about 96 or so when the were changed to metric too.

Lonesome7.3
01-29-2015, 11:38
Oh, so there is no reason to get rid of my low hour 6.2.

Robyn
01-29-2015, 19:30
None at all.

Everything will fit, including late model serp drives (just need to use the 6.5 water pump and not the v belt one)

Install a turbo intake and use the 6.5 turbo too.

Tweak the IP 1/4 turn to fuel the turbo.

It all fits.

Mix and match, plug and play.

Lonesome7.3
01-30-2015, 04:34
Thanks, I kind of needed the reassurance.