PDA

View Full Version : Suburban auto to manual conversion

Proi
01-20-2015, 18:11
Hello: I'm asking for advice on rebuilding my '95 Suburban K2500 4X4 6.5TD with auto 4L80e, converting it to an NV4500 manual trans. I want something reliable and unique, thus the manual. I'm in healthcare, my mechanic would be doing the swap, he welds and can fabricate. He quoted $3200, a different local transmission shop (very experienced, builds racing transmissions) said he'd have to charge $6500, said it's a headache and recommended against it, panel would need to be removed etc. (I assume to remove the steering column shifter). I found a '94 GM K2500 pickup with the pedals, manual tranny and parts. I found this old thread:
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=18688highlight=auto+manual+transm ission+conversion
Any other comments on this conversion for a non-gearhead? I don't want to be fiddling with it forever.

Edahall
01-21-2015, 06:57
Yes, have it done. Having a donor truck with all the parts will make the conversion go a lot easier. Before installing the NV4500, have it opened up and checked out. The synchros are problematic on this unit as well as the 5th gear nut on high torque applications. Pay the money for the correct gear box oil. You will also need to have your rear driveline shortened. Go with the lower quote mechanic. You probably could get that job done for half of that here in TX. This is should be fairly straight forward especially with a donor vehicle.