PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 hard to start after a day

GRod
01-19-2015, 16:09
Hello I'm new to this page.

I've got a 95 Chevy 6.5 diesel and a few years back I eliminated the fuel filter behind the motor and installed a spin on filter in the frame between the tank and lift pump. I just rebuilt the motor and an have trouble starting it when it sits for a day or two. After cranking it and turn it off the lift pump runs for a while. Once it starts I can shut it off and it will start right up.After few hours later starts fine but not over night or days later. I rebuilt it cause i had a cracked pistons from leaking injectors. Need help with this issue. Thanks

john8662
01-20-2015, 08:27
Pretty certain you have a leak in your fuel system.

Check all your fuel fittings and connections. Check out the 6.2L section for an article about finding air leaks in the fuel system.

N9Phil
01-20-2015, 08:51
Before trying to start, put truck in gear and hit the key to start. This will allow your pump to build up the pressure before trying to start. After the pump has built up the pressure ( you can tell by listening to the pump noise as it builds up the pressure) put it in park and shut off the key. Now turn the key back on and let the glow plugs cycle before trying to start. I am assuming that you have a leak in your fuel line causing you to loose the pressure and allow air to enter in the fuel line causing your problem. I am experiencing the same problem with my 95. I plan on replacing my line from the pump to the fuel tank when we get warm weather but in the mean time this is the procedure that I use and it works great. By the way, make sure that all of your glow plugs are working because if any are bad it will make starting more difficult.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it works out for you

Phil

GRod
01-20-2015, 10:21
I've replace all fuel lines with new clamps. Don't see any fuel leaks any where. I was told that having the fuel filter before the pump creates restriction and the filter may empty back into the tank. As of right now it's TANK- FILTER - FUEL PUMP - INJECTION PUMP. Thinking I might have to move filter location or put filter assembly back behind motor...