PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent slow starter speed

JerryMiller
12-22-2014, 08:37
New batteries installed. Engine starts regardless. Some times starter speed slow then other times starter responds as it were when truck was new. Notice fuseable link on right battery positive lead has signs of getting hot. This problem has been intermittent, but getting more pronounced. 1994 Chevrolet 1500, 6.5 TD, 263,000 miles. Has been a good truck. Any suggestions?

phantom309
12-22-2014, 09:09
The hot link indicates a poor ground,.

It is a common ailment over time with these trucks,.the factory cables corrode, have too much resistance,. all kinds of gremlins appear,.
Many folks on this forum have changed their cables to larger ga. The very least a good cleaning and tighten on all connections makes a world of difference,.
I personally upgraded to 1.0 ga on my positives and grounds ,. and added an extra from the back of the motor to the firewall,
I think there is a guy selling new battery cable kits on flea bay, specifically tailored to our trucks,. a plug and play setup.

Jesus
12-25-2014, 22:27
replace fuseable link, clean grounds with wire brush spray with electrical cleaner, protect with electronic protection goop.