PDA

View Full Version : No Start/Hard starting 6.5 non-turbo

jcrigler
12-16-2014, 19:44
I've been traveling through Colorado where temps have not been that low (in the teens at the lowest) and have had a hell of a time cranking the engine. Battery is brand new and been using an anti-gel additive. Even with cycling the glow plugs, it's difficult to start. It's 22 degrees outside right now and I can't start it. Is this a glow plug issue? I'm definitely getting power to the plugs, the battery meter drops to indicate that. I've got the block plugged in to heat it up right now, but I shouldn't have to do that in 22 degrees, right?? Maybe a couple of plugs are worn out though? Thoughts? Also, lots of smoke when trying to crank. Thanks

Dvldog8793
12-16-2014, 19:57
Howdy
Sounds like a glow plug issue. Could also be a cranking speed problem...You said battery is brand new? Only one...?

bowtiebutler
12-16-2014, 20:00
Sounds like glow plugs to me. It would be a good idea to check all your fuel lines for signs of seeping, as this problem could be a result of air in the lines as well.

Matt

trbankii
12-16-2014, 20:18
You said battery is brand new? Only one...?

I noticed that too. That could be an issue if there is only one. Also possibly a cable corrosion issue.

jcrigler
12-16-2014, 20:23
I'm definitely a diesel newby so, yeah, there is only one battery and I just heard this was strange for the first time the other day (by the AAA tow driver, I was parked at a hiking trailhead off in the hills and couldn't start, luckily had cell service). So this is the second time it's been brought to my attention. I bought my van this way. Chevy Beauville 6.5L... should it have a second battery?

-Also, is it worth it to just replace any glow plug that shows signs of wear rather than check each one individually?

trbankii
12-16-2014, 20:39
Typically you need the amps of two batteries to crank things over in colder weather. You could probably get away with a single battery in warmer weather, though.

Personally, I’d replace all the glow plugs at once - same as you would with spark plugs, headlights, or such. They were all installed at the same time and have seen the same use. One may be in somewhat better or worse shape than another, but they still have seen the same use/abuse.

But if you’re only on one battery, I’d correct that first.

bowtiebutler
12-16-2014, 20:56
I'm definitely a diesel newby so, yeah, there is only one battery and I just heard this was strange for the first time the other day (by the AAA tow driver, I was parked at a hiking trailhead off in the hills and couldn't start, luckily had cell service). So this is the second time it's been brought to my attention. I bought my van this way. Chevy Beauville 6.5L... should it have a second battery?

-Also, is it worth it to just replace any glow plug that shows signs of wear rather than check each one individually?

On your van, it has one battery under the hood on the drivers side, and the other battery is on the drivers side underneath your van just behind the door. Its in a metal box, and you can't even see the battery untill you remove the 4 bolts holding the cover on the battery box. The side of the box that faces the rear of the van is where the cover is. I drove a 6.5 G30 Beaville for years, and I always though this was a strange spot for GM to put a battery.
Disregard my earlier post until you get the other battery replaced. :D

Matt

jcrigler
12-16-2014, 21:18
Ah.. that metal box, it all makes sense now. Thanks a lot!

DennisG01
12-18-2014, 15:19
A quick and dirty way to test the plugs is by using a 12V test light. Hook the the wire end to Battery + and then touch the male spade connector (remove female spade) of the plug. Light on = probably good enough.

A slightly better way is using an ohm meter. Set it to the lowest setting and touch the two leads (again, remove female spade)... one to the male spade and the other to the plug casing (threaded area). A good plug will read between about .8 and 1.2 ohms (NOT "K" ohms). A bad plug will read higher.

A simple way is to test how many amps are being pulled by the right bank, then the left bank. I believe it should be around 60amps per bank. But you need an expensive meter to do that - although I think I've heard of some guys using a battery charger to do this? But I can't comment on the 'how to' of that.

As far as replacing all at once - well, I suppose that's a personal preference. No big deal either way. Considering you don't know the history, that hampers your decision, too. It could be that the previous owner recently replaced a few of the them, and now some others are going bad. I've done it both ways. Most recently (a year or two ago) I replaced only two that were bad.

AC Delco 60G's are always a safe bet for replacement plugs.

Robyn
12-19-2014, 09:19
60G plugs are pretty much the gold standard these days.

Earlier style plugs would swell when they burnt out, and could be a real pain to get out.

9G and 11G were the older style and heated a bit quicker, but were not as rugged.

The 60G will take a tad more time to heat up, but are tough plugs

Several companies make plugs, but the 60G Delco is hard to beat

Missy

Jesus
12-22-2014, 00:20
I've been traveling through Colorado where temps have not been that low (in the teens at the lowest) and have had a hell of a time cranking the engine. Battery is brand new and been using an anti-gel additive. Even with cycling the glow plugs, it's difficult to start. It's 22 degrees outside right now and I can't start it. Is this a glow plug issue? I'm definitely getting power to the plugs, the battery meter drops to indicate that. I've got the block plugged in to heat it up right now, but I shouldn't have to do that in 22 degrees, right?? Maybe a couple of plugs are worn out though? Thoughts? Also, lots of smoke when trying to crank. Thanks
How old are the injectors? They are usually the last things to be replaced...New fuel filter? new air filter?