PDA

View Full Version : HX30 turbo?

brandongarnold02
12-14-2014, 10:32
Anyone know about the HX30 turbo? I hear everyone talk about the HX35 and HX40. I got my hands on a 30 and this also looks like it would bolt right up with minimal mods. I want to know if it would be a step up from the GM4 I have on it now. It just looking for something that spools a little faster.

bowtiebutler
12-14-2014, 16:49
Thats really way to small for the 6.5. The specs I have on the HX30 are as follows. Compressor Inducer 44mm. Turbine Exducer 52mm, with a 6cm eshaust housing. I ran out to my garage, and measure a GM1 I have out there. Compressor inducer 50mm, Turbine exducer 55, and the GMX turbos have a 9cm exhaust housing.
The GM turbos are already somewhat small for our 6.5's, and they usually start spooling not far off idle. While the HX30 would spool even faster, your EGT's would get very high, very quick, and the drive pressure in the exhaust would be crazy high trying to push the volume of air a 6.5 produces through such a small exhaust housing. I wouldn't recommend it. The HX35 on the other hand is very well suited for our 6.5's.

Matt

brandongarnold02
12-14-2014, 20:01
Thanks for you input. Greatly appreciated.

MajMike
12-15-2014, 12:15
Thats really way to small for the 6.5. The specs I have on the HX30 are as follows. Compressor Inducer 44mm. Turbine Exducer 52mm, with a 6cm eshaust housing. I ran out to my garage, and measure a GM1 I have out there. Compressor inducer 50mm, Turbine exducer 55, and the GMX turbos have a 9cm exhaust housing.
The GM turbos are already somewhat small for our 6.5's, and they usually start spooling not far off idle. While the HX30 would spool even faster, your EGT's would get very high, very quick, and the drive pressure in the exhaust would be crazy high trying to push the volume of air a 6.5 produces through such a small exhaust housing. I wouldn't recommend it. The HX35 on the other hand is very well suited for our 6.5's.

Matt

How would one of these fair as a replacement for the one on my Banks Sidewinder system(getting old and rusty) on my 6.2? Thx.

bowtiebutler
12-15-2014, 19:51
How would one of these fair as a replacement for the one on my Banks Sidewinder system(getting old and rusty) on my 6.2? Thx.

If your talking about the HX35, then yes, it would work great. It has the same t3 flange as used on your Banks manifold. You would have to build a new downpipe to your exhaust, and it would probably require a few other mods, like grinding down the v band flange on the compressor side of the HX, so you could use a hose, and clamp. I don't know which turbo you have on your Bank kit, but it probably has a 3" inlet, where the HX would have a 4". You would be amazed at the difference in power the HX35 would make. :)

Matt

More Power
12-16-2014, 14:53
If your talking about the HX35, then yes, it would work great. It has the same t3 flange as used on your Banks manifold. You would have to build a new downpipe to your exhaust, and it would probably require a few other mods, like grinding down the v band flange on the compressor side of the HX, so you could use a hose, and clamp. I don't know which turbo you have on your Bank kit, but it probably has a 3" inlet, where the HX would have a 4". You would be amazed at the difference in power the HX35 would make. :)

Matt

Good advice!

Jim