PDA

View Full Version : Coolant temp drops

JoeyD
01-16-2005, 12:34
My coolant temps are normal when driving but stop at a light or in traffic and the temp slowly drops down to the 170 area, once underway it climbs back up to normal. It only takes a minute for the temps to fall off. Heat is suffering. I know it's winter but it does it even when in the high 30's or low 40's like it's been out. I have changed the coolant out 2 times already and the t stats once for the heck of it and even a temp sensor in the head. None of it within 6 months though.

More Power
01-16-2005, 16:49
Temps can drop a little if it's really cold outside.... Otherwise, your symptoms sound like a leaking T-stat.

Try this: start the engine cold, and keep tabs of the upper rad hose as the engine warms up. It should stay pretty cool/cold till the t-stat begins to crack open. If it turns warm early, it could be due to a leaking t-stat.

MP

kevin77
01-16-2005, 17:14
How is your blower motor running? I had one that the bearings were worn out - blower motor was hard to turn even by had - it would blow but not that much - but after I replaced the blower motor I had lots of heat - I was running around Chicago today (+5F) with plenty of heat - I actually had to turn it down a bit.

Kevin

JoeyD
01-17-2005, 04:02
I replaced the blower last year as it was noisy, it blows plenty of air and sounds good.
I will test the upper hose and see what it does. May have to do the stats.