PDA

View Full Version : Help purging air from injection system!

railroadboy
11-14-2014, 21:01
I just changed out my heads and had the whole injection pump among other things off. put it back together and I got fuel at the filter and out of the brass tee up front with no air. this is a 98 6.5l suburban. I have cracked the injectors and do not get any spray when I took whole line loose injector has a little tiny shot of fuel in its throat. I have cranked this engine over many times. What could be wrong. If injection pump gear moved a lil bit while off, would this happen. Tried to put back in same place. I have also installed the #9 resistor in the pmd plug , could this be the problem. Resistor came from napa.

Yukon6.2
11-14-2014, 21:27
Hi RRB
Are you cranking it with the glow plugs out?
My guess is there is something unplugged.It doesn't take much to purge the air out of these systems.Usually remove the plugs and crank till you see misting from the holes.Reinstall plugs and away they go.
Double check all your electrical connections.Mabey a pin in a plug got bent or.....
Thomas

rustyk
11-15-2014, 14:32
The brass tee is to drain water. There should be a black wheel on top of the filter with a 5/16" male fitting; that bleeds the filter.

Are you sure the lift pump is working?

railroadboy
11-15-2014, 16:14
I have turned this thing over till it wont turn. I have no fuel not a single drop coming from an injector. No spray from glow plug holes if removed and injectors shut. Only code in ecm is a glow plug controller circuit but when engaged the glow plugs are getting 12v tested at each plug with meter and all glow plugs working with ohm test. Something has my injection pump shut off I guess its the pmd controlled one. I put in a #9 resistor It looked like it only went one way. If the injection pump is not mechanical its the pmd one should it still be putting out fuel when you turn it over if pmd or resistor in plug on pmd are damaged.

Robyn
11-15-2014, 20:27
When you turn the key to ON the fuel shut off solenoid should CLICK

Have a helper turn the switch on and off while you listen and touch the solenoid

Solenoid is the round Gizmo on top of the IP

Do you have fuel to the IP coming from the filter ???

If the fuel lift pump runs when you turn the key to the start position, are you getting fuel to the IP ???

If there is fuel coming to the IP (Actually flowing from the hose) your good.

Remove the glow plugs and spin the engine.

Should take no more than 30 seconds to prime things up and see fuel mist at the plug holes.

Trying to prime these with the plugs in can flatten the batteries and melt the starter.

With no compression to fight the IP will fill the lines and make it happen quickly.

Make sure the IP is getting fuel from the filter and that the solenoid is working.

Are you sure the PMD is good ??
A bad PMD and you can spin the thing till hell freezes and get nothing

Keep us posted

Missy

Jesus
12-09-2014, 08:35
When you turn the key to ON the fuel shut off solenoid should CLICK

Have a helper turn the switch on and off while you listen and touch the solenoid

Solenoid is the round Gizmo on top of the IP

Do you have fuel to the IP coming from the filter ???

If the fuel lift pump runs when you turn the key to the start position, are you getting fuel to the IP ???

If there is fuel coming to the IP (Actually flowing from the hose) your good.

Remove the glow plugs and spin the engine.

Should take no more than 30 seconds to prime things up and see fuel mist at the plug holes.

Trying to prime these with the plugs in can flatten the batteries and melt the starter.

With no compression to fight the IP will fill the lines and make it happen quickly.

Make sure the IP is getting fuel from the filter and that the solenoid is working.

Are you sure the PMD is good ??
A bad PMD and you can spin the thing till hell freezes and get nothing

Keep us posted

Missy

I would add if you loosen the top of the fuel filter the top taj mahal looking thing ;) when to turn the key to just before start or the glow wait position fuel should come gushing out the top of the filter and if you dont have a rag there and shut it off quickly you will have a v full of diesel