PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 performance upgrade. WOW

ccole4
11-06-2014, 14:23
I have been a member of this site for number of years but have not really posted much. I recently picked up a 1997 C3500 quad cab dually. I Will be using this truck to tow a 10,000lb trailer. The trailer is an 11 foot tall and 8 foot wide box. My previous 6.5 gmc dually would tow at about 55mph max. Any faster and truck would struggle do to increased wind drag. Unfortunately that truck was set on fire by a serial arsonist that decided to light 4 other vehicles that night as well. Recently purchased a diamond eye 4" exhaust and 2.5" crossover, boost & egt gauge, heath pcm and turbo master. First I installed the exhaust and gauges and then went for a drive. The truck had a little better power and allowed me to to run about 60mph, however egt's were hard to control. The egt's would easily get to 1100. Next I installed the turbo master set at 14 psi and heath pcm and went for another drive. I was blown away by the difference. I was able to easily accelerate to highway speed and at one point was blasting down the highway at 70mph. The egt's ran around 850 and maxed out on grades at about 1050. If anyone is wondering what to do to make their truck tow better, this setup worked better than I expected. I would also like to say that the shift points for the transmission are much improved with the heath pcm.

bowtiebutler
11-07-2014, 06:49
I have been a member of this site for number of years but have not really posted much. I recently picked up a 1997 C3500 quad cab dually. I Will be using this truck to tow a 10,000lb trailer. The trailer is an 11 foot tall and 8 foot wide box. My previous 6.5 gmc dually would tow at about 55mph max. Any faster and truck would struggle do to increased wind drag. Unfortunately that truck was set on fire by a serial arsonist that decided to light 4 other vehicles that night as well. Recently purchased a diamond eye 4" exhaust and 2.5" crossover, boost & egt gauge, heath pcm and turbo master. First I installed the exhaust and gauges and then went for a drive. The truck had a little better power and allowed me to to run about 60mph, however egt's were hard to control. The egt's would easily get to 1100. Next I installed the turbo master set at 14 psi and heath pcm and went for another drive. I was blown away by the difference. I was able to easily accelerate to highway speed and at one point was blasting down the highway at 70mph. The egt's ran around 850 and maxed out on grades at about 1050. If anyone is wondering what to do to make their truck tow better, this setup worked better than I expected. I would also like to say that the shift points for the transmission are much improved with the heath pcm.
Congrats on your new found power. I've owned 4 of these old GM diesel trucks over the years, but my current one is the first one I decided to upgrade. I had no idea these trucks could be this strong. I've really been enjoying mine. :)

Matt