PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 NON turbo Newbie questions

jcrigler
10-22-2014, 11:55
Hey all,

New to the page and only owned a diesel since the spring.

I got a 1994 Chevy 6.5L Non turbo G20 Beauville.

I did try to search my questions without much luck so I apologize if these are well covered topics.

I'm working toward getting the van ready for cross country travel. My questions are:

1) I had some major oil leakage from oil cooler lines (I know this is common). The mechanic I took it to suggested to bypass the oil cooler altogether, explaining that because it's non turbo, there is little risk of overheating. Is this true? I have found some debate online about people who have done the same. Is it safe to bypass the oil cooler?

2) I replaced the air filter and noticed a buildup of what seemed like grease/oil (it had a wetness to it, not dry like I would imagine soot to be) in the compartment immediately PAST the air filter (sorry not specific, not sure what that part is called, can take pics if needed). Is this normal or okay? Should I clean it out?

3) What else should I be on the lookout for/ known problems of this engine before I hit the road? I'm a rock climber and planning on living and traveling in the van so it's upkeep and maintenance are my highest priority.

4) Which manual to buy from this website? There is the 6.2 or the 6.5TD manuals, but I've got the 6.5 NoBo. Which manual should I get?

I love this van and want to learn how to care of her. Thanks so much for any help!:D

john8662
10-22-2014, 12:17
Welcome!

Oil Cooler = Get the cooler lines replaced or repaired. Some Hydraulic shops can replace the rubber on the cooler lines and make them good as new. Otherwise you'll need to source some replacements.

The oil cooler IS necessary on a GM diesel whether turbo'ed or not.

Will you cause damage to the engine bypassed? Depends on how it's bypassed. If plugs are inserted into the ports of the block where the cooler lines were, then yes, you will damage the engine as this forces all the oil to go through the oil cooler bypass valve. If a line is made to loop the line connection, then you'll only risk too high of engine oil temps leading to premature failure of the engine as well.

In short, you need to repair the oil cooler line circuit!

Second,

Research the PMD or FSD module found on the 6.5L. I'm pretty certain that your 94 Beauville G20 has an electronic DS4 injection pump on it. IF so, you'd be ahead of the curve to have a spare: PMD Cooler, PMD Extension Harness, and Spare PMD on hand for when the Pump Mounted Driver (PMD) fails.

Sounds like the soot/oil film on your air filter is the EGR valve system. Unfortunately this is normal. A replacement intake manifold and ECM programming can defeat this and clean up the intake tract. Otherwise, it'll be fine stock.

I have a 94 G20 van, so I can probably help you with troubleshooting yours as it's likely the same as mine (except mine's just a cargo van).