PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pickup sock

DieselDavy
10-14-2014, 08:38
I've read the threads that contain the word "sock" for our trucks.
I believe my 97 Tahoe may need to have the sock replaced.
Can anyone attest to the identity of the real sock by looking at these parts (from Rock Auto)?

(97 ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT)
ACDELCO Part # TS1012 More Info {#25055272} GM Original Equipment
In Tank
AUX REAR TK (<-- I don't what this means, we all know there is no room for an aux tank on the 2 door Tahoes!)

(99 ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT)
ACDELCO Part # TS90 More Info {#25121625, 25166285, TS29} GM Original Equipment
2 door; Pump; 2 Door

This last 99 unit actually calls out 2 door.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Dave

arveetek
10-15-2014, 05:59
The picture for TS1012 looks like the OEM sock. The picture for TS90 does not.

However, after I had a fiasco with an aftermarket sock, I was able to clean the original OEM sock and put it back in. It's been working fine for a couple of years now. If you're having flow problems due to a restricted sock, you might be able to clean it and reinstall it.

Casey

DieselDavy
10-15-2014, 08:26
Thanks Casey,
I'm pondering the job. Sitting still, I have fuel coming out of filter when it is cracked open, so I do have fuel flow, but I don't have good power with WOT. Longer you drive it, the worse the WOT performance is. IP has been bench tested a couple of times and a replacement has also been on the truck for testing. All with the same results. I think I'm down to pump or sock.....
Dave

phantom309
10-19-2014, 09:06
pull the feed line off,. blow some air back thru it,.. see if it improves for a day or so,.

Buddy gave me some fuel conditioner to try,. it "cleaned" the tank,.plugged the sock,. so i blew back thru the line and kept adding fuel conditioner,.
I had to put air thru it 3 times in a month,. it seems to be fine these days,.
I,m thinking the conditioner,. the air blast,. both contributed to break up the algae into smaller size that past thru the sock,..
I have a hillbilly fuel gauge just zip tied to the dr side outside mirror,.it has really helped ,..andn it's something to watch when you turn the key on,. etc,...

sort of like watering down yer oatmeal,..:D

JTodd
10-19-2014, 19:00
I had a similar problem, that gradually got worse. It ended up being a kink in the rubber hose leading to the fuel filter bowl. From the metal line running from the lift pump, it takes a 90* turn into the bowl. It kinked there. I placed the 12" piece of line with 2 6" pieces and a brass L fitting, and no more problems.

Check there first, because dealing with the fuel tank is a PITA

DieselDavy
10-20-2014, 04:36
Thanks for the advice guys. It's time to put it away for the winter. I did blow air back to the tank and it "seemed" to help for a while. I'll check for that kink that you spoke of but it looked pretty normal when I inspected it. I'll probably have it on the lift this winter and slowly drop the tank, clean it, replace the sending unit, sock, and may throw a pump at it while I'm under there.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to update as it happens.
Dave