PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 l glow plug schematic

captcharlie
10-03-2014, 04:12
I bought a 6.2 diesel for my boat. I need a glow plug cutout switch. I think the motor is a 87 year model. I also would like a schematic for the glow plug relay. The operators manual warns not to bypass the cutout switch. The relay are available but not the cutout switch. Any idea where I can locate one?
Captcharlie

DmaxMaverick
10-03-2014, 10:51
Welcome aboard, Capt!

Your manual warns about the glow plug inhibit switch for an outdated reason. Originally, the 6.2L engines were OEM equipped with AC-9G glow plugs. These plugs were prone to failing early and swelling at the tip with too frequent or too long duration glow cycles (or for no reason, at all). They are only available now as old stock or aftermarket clones (Champion, Autolite). You should be using AC-60G plugs, which do not suffer from these conditions. You can omit the inhibit switch, or include it. Your choice, but the engine may need a glow cycle to start easily when "warm", while the switch may prevent a glow cycle. This may cause extended cranking times, and more wear on the starting system components. Ultimately, it's best to just leave it out, or wire a fully manual glow plug system (which is ideal for a boat, in any case), or a hybrid (auto glow with a manual override). You can use the GM glow plug controller (expensive, less reliable) for an auto-timed system, or an off-the-shelf "Ford" starter relay (cheap, more reliable) for a fully manual system.

Any which way you do it, it is more simple than any diagram can show you:

Batt+ --> 100 amp fuse/link/CB (slow) --> Relay --> /// --> Relay --> +GP indicator lamp power lead+ --> plugs ::::::

Ign sw. /run/ (and/or manual momentary switch) --> Inhibit switch (if included) --> Relay exciter pole (all assuming a properly grounded relay).