PDA

View Full Version : New truck, New to 6.5, concerns, worries, input?

markmartin
02-10-2005, 16:06
hi guys and (gals maybe) I used to visit the sight last year but sold my 98 6.5 diesel. I am a used car dealer and need a dependable truck to pull my single car trailer with. I ran across a very clean 94 2500 ext cab long bed this week and bought it cheap. It has 165k on it and so far has been running well, it didnt want to start once after it had been sitting for about an hour after a hour driving trip, it did eventually crank and hasnt missed a lick after another 1000 miles. The previous owner (another dealer) said the guy he got it from had a problem with it occassionally shutting off on him. I plan to read the posts tonight to get some input. I did buy the fuel pump selinoid heat sink cooler from Ebay and plan to remount it to a cooler location. Any things you can help me with as far as preventative things I can do to it? thanks for any input.... I want to make sure this baby runs for a good while with no problems

Marty Lau
02-11-2005, 10:13
hmmm, sounds like the start of the classic PMD/FSD break down. I'd get a replacement heading your way before it gets worse and your stuck.

curmudge1
02-11-2005, 12:30
Check the Oil Pressure Switch (OPS) & Lift pump for operation... maybe you'll want to put a relay in for the OPS function, iirc, the '94s (I have a '94) have the OPS directly powering the lift pump, instead of going through a relay.

Also, how old are the injectors & glow plugs? Iirc, the glow plugs put in '94s aren't the best, and I've been told that injectors are good for 75k-100k miles or so, before they wear & the spray pattern goes bad in some/most/all.

Swangerize your battery connections.

All of the above are described in the forum or online articles.

Add gauges (EGT, Boost, Trans Temps) so you know what's going on, synthetic ATF in the trans & transfer case (if 4WD) and synthetic lube in the diff(s). Better downpipe for the exhaust. Synthetic oil ... maybe, your call -- Shell Rotella-T Syn 5W-40 (at WalMart), or Mobil Delvac-1 5W-40. Just some off-the-cuff suggestions.

Good luck... My 6.5TD is at about 249K miles.

markmartin
02-11-2005, 18:29
Thanks guys, I did buy the heat sink and relocate kit off of Ebay, from what I am hearing, once one starts going bad, the heat sink fix is a mute point, I am def going with syn oil and trans fluid. I have been reading about a newer type PMD. Do you guys have one of these or know if they work well ? Thanks for your input, I dont have any previous history on the truck, I am a dealer and bought it through the car auction, if the maintainence has been done as well as the interior has been kept, I am thinking its been well maintained. Hope so anyway

Marty Lau
02-14-2005, 11:32
Hey Mark;
As far as the Sol-D (new PMD) is concerned IMHO they are not proven yet and there has been a high failure rate so far. I hope that the problems with it are resolved soon. I however would not buy one to simply be a test subject for it. I hope you remote mounted that heat sink out of the engine bay and not on the intake or fire wall as there has been a number of failures with those mountings also. If you took you PMD off the pump, I would get a spare, also the OPS (oil pressure sensor) is high failure item which can cause problems as the it send power to the lift pump to feed the Injector Pump.

markmartin
02-14-2005, 16:19
I have been thinking about buying an orig equipment PMD , and relocate it, WHERE would you suggest to relocate it? I am assuming it would take a harness extension ? as for the OPS where is it located? And what does it cost? Where is the best place to buy a PMD and an OPS, I have already purchased the cooling fin thingy
Thanks a bunch, I am having the truck repainted this week, she is gonna look like new, I want it to run that way also

Marty Lau
02-16-2005, 16:36
The OPS is located on the back of the engine you will need to remove the bolts holding the fuel filter assbly to get to it. I bought a special socket for $9 at a parts store to remove it and the OPS. was like $25-30.
for the PMD get one off Kenndy's extensions he has mounting loction suggestion on his website, personally I order a 6 foot extension and put it out of the engine bay complete, I used Heaths kit had everything and put it on top of the frame crossmeber about under the seat area. Other folks have used other locations for it I think any place out of the engine bay will do the trick, come folks even put them inside by A/C area.

Barry Nave
02-16-2005, 18:29
Guess I'm A test dummy :rolleyes:
SOL-D,One Failed. #2 has been great.
Let's see,how may failed FSD? Lost count :eek:
SOL-D, 5yrs replacement smile.gif

markmartin
02-17-2005, 04:40
I really appreciate all your input guys, I have the truck in the paint shop now and already missing that diesel sound (back in my gas truck for a while) After your input and some thinking, I think I am going this direction with my truck.
I am going to relocate the OEM FSD somewhere in the engine bay so I can change it out if I ever have too. Going with synthetic oil in the motor, trans and rear end. Probably will go with a K+N style free flow air filter (havent checked the old air filter yet but sure its old) I plan to keep everything else stock for now, I may go with taller tires to gear me a little higher (input?) I am running 265's now at pulling 1800 revs at 60 mph. If I went to a taller tire ie..275 or 285 this should get me some more speed at 1800 revs shouldnt it? thanks again guys, mark in west Ky

Marty Lau
02-17-2005, 07:35
Originally posted by Bnave95:
Guess I'm A test dummy :rolleyes:
SOL-D,One Failed. #2 has been great.
Let's see,how may failed FSD? Lost count :eek:
SOL-D, 5yrs replacement smile.gif Well I guess we need test subjects to see if these new things will work. I just feel the company should do it's testing before they sell it too you. My record for FSD on my current IP the pump has 160,000 miles. The OEM PMD went about 105,000 miles on the pump #2 went 25,000 miles on a Beta Cooler on the intake. #3 is a Heath Isolator with 30,000 miles and 7 year replacement from a vendor I feel very cofident will be there to back it up. :cool:

Barry Nave
02-18-2005, 05:02
16gasxs
C Stan from RemarQ call me a couple of nights ago. Was going to post and tell his story.
In short,this SOL-D is new to us in the USA.
The unit is and has been in use over the country to 6.5 user for more than a year.
Told me about a guy using this product in the Down Under country and any one should know how hot it can get. He has had no trouble.
Using out source and different ones for cost C Stan made a mastake and was sent bad batch of the SOL-D that ended up in our Hands. Not all are bad,just some. A very simple washer issue.
So he thought best to not send any more out to us or any other country out of the ones that was sent to him. He did send me another one though ASAP and this unit has been just great.
As in my other post I under stand now why this unit is a plug and play thanks to JK
There are more members out there also trying the SOL-D but not for me to say who.
I know C Stan has and is working with them.
C Stan Is a Great Guy :D

Hye
02-18-2005, 06:22
Before you spring for a new FSD, do a search for: fsd loose screws

"search" link is in tiny letters near top of page.