PDA

View Full Version : Bad injector . . .

MajMike
08-29-2014, 14:23
The guy at the autoshop I use said my rt rear injector is leaking around the seal, can I just replace the one or do they all need to be replaced at once (money matters)?

DmaxMaverick
08-29-2014, 15:05
It depends on which "seal" is leaking, but the seal may be replaced or tightened. If the body is leaking, it may only need tightening. This can happen when someone tries to remove an injector by the top hex, which is a no-no (it can loosen the injector body halves). This shouldn't be user-replaced/repaired, as it involves injector disassembly, and may change injector operation significantly. If it's leaking at the lower seal, it's just a copper washer.

Unless all the injectors are near new, they should be replaced as a set. Even if new, a single replacement should be of the same series from the same supplier. Mix-matched injectors, especially from different sources, can cause serious issues with engine balance, and damage other engine parts (crank, IP, valve train). A balanced set of injectors is key to a balanced engine. If you have over 100K on them, they're likely due, in any case.

MajMike
08-29-2014, 15:09
How do I know whether I need the fine or coarse threads?

DmaxMaverick
08-29-2014, 15:17
If it's an '82 and original, coarse. Otherwise, fine. If the heads have been replaced, you'll have to look. If the block is red and the paint on the heads is the same, it's likely original. If either are not red, then they're not original.

john8662
09-03-2014, 08:07
You could always have that injector repaired. Remove the injector, take it to an injection shop that's familiar with these injectors. Have them clean, lap, and resassemble using the same pressures and nozzle, and install a new heat shield/seal inside and that will get you back up an running.

MajMike
09-03-2014, 13:08
It was a cracked vacuum cap on the fuel return fitting, easy fix. Thx for all the help though.

Dvldog8793
09-03-2014, 18:41
Howdy
If the rubber cap was bad chances are that all the return lines are in about the same condition. I would look into replacing them with a push on kit.

MajMike
09-04-2014, 15:43
Howdy
If the rubber cap was bad chances are that all the return lines are in about the same condition. I would look into replacing them with a push on kit.

Thx, I'll do that.