PDA

View Full Version : Turbo started whistling

Jgreemo
08-25-2014, 07:48
Wondering if this is a bearing going on me, but in the past few days I started hearing the turbo whistle and whine as it spools. Normally, these Banks systems are quiet so any thoughts? It's still making boost, oil pressure is good and otherwise running normally.

Thanks!

DmaxMaverick
08-25-2014, 09:57
Check for a hose connection leak, or a poorly sealed air cleaner box. Also check the compressor housing for indication of contact with the impeller.

john8662
08-25-2014, 09:59
Check for leaks.

Check rubber boots into the turbo from the air cleaner housing, check the rubber caps that are on the intake manifold for failure as well.

Jgreemo
08-25-2014, 10:54
Thanks, I'll check those possibilities out.

trbankii
08-25-2014, 14:57
Check the exhaust as well. I've got a new downpipe sitting in my dining room that I need to get installed. For the time being, I've got a pretty clear whistle from the turbo - through the big rusted out hole in the downpipe. :p

DmaxMaverick
08-25-2014, 16:16
Check the exhaust as well. I've got a new downpipe sitting in my dining room that I need to get installed. For the time being, I've got a pretty clear whistle from the turbo - through the big rusted out hole in the downpipe. :p

Good point. It could also be the crossover pipe, manifold-head, manifold-pipe, or any pressurized intake or exhaust connection. Just about anywhere along the line.

Jgreemo
08-25-2014, 23:16
Well, this is an example of me looking but not seeing. I went over it all twice and the third time through I finally noticed that the bottom half of the air filter box to compressor hose had popped off the turbo compressor flange and was just resting on it. Reaching into the turbo and spinning the turbine, it seems fine and I don't feel much in the way of play or contact with the housing, so I reconnected it and it all seems normal.

Looks like the hose clamp had worked its way off and the hose just came free a bit. Feel kind of silly for missing something that turned out to be so obvious, so thank you all for your time.

Jon