PDA

View Full Version : Intake Manifold Question

trevmountain
08-23-2014, 22:00
Recently bought this 85 6.2 half ton and when I pulled the vin on it I saw that it was a c code so I assumed I should find a j to put on it. After pulling the cover off I can see that the place where the egr valve would go has been plugged off. So has the egr essentially been deleted? and if so is there any other benefits to the J manifold as far as performance.

Also what is the little deal in the picture, sits to the drivers side of the manifold and has a tube that runs off it to a fitting under neath the air cleaner.

Dvldog8793
08-24-2014, 04:55
Howdy
The egr has been removed. The only benefit to a different manifold would be to clean up the air flow even more. The J manifold will probably be 20-30% more open than the manifold you have. My 84 van has a similar modification done to it. The other main thing to check on your engine would be the EGR exhaust valve. It will be in the exhaust manifold right at the end. This should either be removed(best) or wired open permanently. The other item you showed pictures of could be a vacuum actuator for something possibly the EGR...I've never seen something like that on a diesel. Trace the vac lines that come off it and see where they go.
I would think that you best performance(non-turbo) mod would possibly be get your self some NON egr exhaust manifolds and open up your exhaust system. If it was me, I would do that before the intake.
My intake manifold isn't going anywhere so if you determine that you want it later down the road, I will probably still have it.
Hope this helps!

More Power
08-24-2014, 05:25
Dvldog is right. The EPR (Exhaust Pressure Regulator) valve in the driver's side exhaust manifold is spring loaded to the open position, so nothing special needs to be done there when removing the vacuum hose.

There is almost no vacuum created by these engines, so I don't know what the device is in the photo... Is it aftermarket?

jggiedeman
08-24-2014, 18:25
It could be a EGR vacuum solenoid. It appears in photo 1 that a vacuum line runs to it. Perhaps the other line ran to the EGR valve but is no longer required?

DmaxMaverick
08-25-2014, 09:54
It could be a EGR vacuum solenoid. It appears in photo 1 that a vacuum line runs to it. Perhaps the other line ran to the EGR valve but is no longer required?

That's what it is. The large vacuum line goes to the vacuum pump, the other goes through a hole in the lower part of the air cleaner (then to the EGR valve, if it has one). The early ECM's only monitored emission component activation, and never the outcome. If the solenoid is present, the ECM is happy.