PDA

View Full Version : Refeshing the old N/A 6.2

brighty
08-10-2014, 11:35
Been on here a bit a few years back when I first got the old girl but have since just plodded along with it. Seems it's time to give the old girl a bit of a freshen up with a few oil leaks starting here there and everywhere, mainly rear main, both rocker covers and front crank seal in the timing cover.
Before I get started on info I need, I'm not sure what sort of rig this motor came out of as it had been transplanted into the landcruiser before I bought it. Apparently the motor is running 6.5 heads and was fully blue printed from the ground up at some stage about 15yrs ago so I was told. Inj pump is only about 30 000kms old so should be in good nick. So that's about as much info I can give on the motor itself other than it being a N/A 6.2

Now info(or links to other threads) would be great on a few issues.
* Best or most reputable brand for rebuild kit/seals/gaskets/head bolts etc??
* Can injectors be refurbished, or do I need new ones?? Again which brands??
* How to check for main bearing cracks in the cast block??
* Where to buy the main bearing stud girdle kit??
* Timing chain... does it need to be done??(I have no idea how many kms it's done)
* Without doing a complete rebuild, what should be done to freshen the motor up and give it a new lease on life??

Please keep in mind I'm in Australia and have limited suppliers to get parts from... so if I need to import from the US, one shipment would prob be better.

I have a mate who's a diesel mechanic that will help me out but any info or tips on where to start would be great. If I can start getting parts sorted and all here ready to go, then we can rip it out of the truck and start work on it.

Cheers guys,
Brighty.

Robyn
08-10-2014, 12:21
Felpro makes good gasket kits and head bolt kits

Felpro is the best for head gaskets.

The 3 middle mains are the ones prone to cracking, and usually only the outer bolt holes.

With the block where you can see things well, clean it up good, then warm the area around each outer bolt (one at a time) until good and hot with a propane torch.

Let sit
Any cracks will show oil bubbling out of the crack and leave a little thin line of black oil.

The injectors can be reworked by a competent shop and at an affordable price.

Request that the pop pressures be held close as possible, so all are nearly the same.

If the cyl's are not bad worn (Nasty ridge) just use a bottle brush hone to clean up the cyls and install new rings.

Make sure the ring grooves are cleaned good.

Rod and main brgs and a fresh rear main seal.

New timing chain, gears usually last and are reusable.

Fresh set of 60G glow plugs.

Use HIGH TEMP black RTV for the valve covers.

Straighten the covers good and be sure the surfaces are cleaned well with brakeclean or similar to be rid of all the oil.

Goop well, stick covers on and lightly snug the bolts.
The next day, firm the bolts up a bit more

Just an FYI
THE PUSH RODS ON THESE ENGINE ONLY GO ONE WAY.
COPPER COLORED END (STRIPE/BAND) TO THE TOP
Mix it up and they will fail.

Torque the head bolts as per instructions in the box

First pass through the pattern to 20 ft lb
Second pass through to 55 lbs
Last pass through is 1/4 turn YESSSSS, 1/4 TURN

Be sure to always go through the proper pattern.

Felpro includes a little paper instruction with the bolt kits.

Make sure the head bolt holes in the block are clean and oil free before installing bolts.

Do not lube or add anything as the threads of the new bolts are coated with a dry sealer.
Install as they come from the box.

Ahhhh yess, Zip ties
WE call the stuff 200 mile per hour tape :D

Yup, it will hold nearly anything together.

Good luck mate

Missy

brighty
08-11-2014, 09:46
Thanks so much Robyn, that's pretty much all the info I needed ;-)

One last one though...
When heating the outside bolt housing on the main bearings, am I able to do this with the sump off and engine still in the car.. with all the main bearings etc still currently as is?? Or do I need to strip it down to check??
Only reason I ask is if there is cracks there, there is not much point in me going any further with the rest of the stuff I was going to do. And these engines aren't exactly a dime a dozen here in OZ to pick up another block to drop into it.

Robyn
08-11-2014, 13:52
Tough to do in the rig.