PDA

View Full Version : Swap the precups? Or not?

Nacla
07-07-2014, 18:48
(This is the first time I've ever posted anything online anywhere. I've been a lurker at TDP off-and-on for several years now.)

Background information: A mechanic friend offered to help me track down a problem in my '93 6.5L TD engine, suspecting that a blown head gasket might be the cause of the excess white/blue smoke I'm seeing for a few minutes upon initial engine start-up. Another symptom is bubbling in the plastic coolant reservoir, which continues for a short while after the engine is shutdown when warm. Also, the original radiator now has a hole in it, and will have to be repaired or replaced, when the above repairs take place next month.

What I'm thinking about having installed: Another friend is leaving Alaska, and has gifted me with a spare set of plastic-bag-enclosed rebuilt "567" heads (46mm intake & 39mm exhaust valves) that he'd had a local machine shop redo for his own truck. The heads were checked for defects and are reported to be straight and crack-free. (My uneducated eye cannot spot any cracking between the valves.)

My concerns: The rebuilt "567" heads are presently equipped with crack-free 2-dot precups ("J"-code precups?) which IIRC were only used in certain HD applications in NA 6.2L engines. Do these need to be swapped out with my stock precups? (I'm assuming the "T" style turbo precups are what were installed in the existing heads.)

I think I've read one of More Power's (Jim's) early posts where he indicated the tiny little (unmarked) 6.2L "C"-code precups might work in a 6.5L TD, if maximum MPG is the goal. The 2-dot precups have larger openings than the "C"-code precups. If the 2-dot precups are used, am I going to lose lots of power? Should a swap be left to a machine shop, or is this more of a DIY-project?

Vehicle use: Mostly this truck will be used as a DD. I do tow a 3600 lb riverboat/trailer once a year, and the trip entails pulling up some hills.

If I've overlooked some prior post concerning 2-dot precups and 6.5L TD engines, I'd appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction. Thanks for taking the time to respond. - Nacla

AKMark
07-08-2014, 06:49
On one of the 6.2L's I rebuilt, I used heads from a newer motor with the J-style precups. I noticed no difference at all in performance or fuel economy.

Of course I only got 13K on it before I had massive lower end issues and scraped it. Failed harmonic balanacer, pulled a trailer that was way to heavy for the configuration, cooked the oil....Yeah all my fault, but for the miles put on before the bad happened, it ran great.

More Power
07-08-2014, 09:17
Good post!

If you have 6.2L heads, know that they all had the small port precups. The difference between "C" and "J" are minor and insignificant. The various dots, squares and other identifiers are there more to help you put together a complete and matched set of 8.

Unless your 597 6.2L heads are 1991 model year or newer, the injector angles will be wrong for the factory 6.5 turbo system. If they are older than 1991, they won't work for you.

Small port precups have been used by GM in factory 6.5L TD installations. The 1994 6.5TD powered Blazer (light-duty application) I have came with small port precups from the factory.

Deciding which size precups to use should be based on how you intend to use the truck. If you're looking for max power, go with the larger precups. If you're looking for better fuel economy and light-moderate towing, use the small port precups.

Jim