PDA

View Full Version : Starter nose brace to block bolt size

spiff
07-06-2014, 11:10
The bolt holding the starter nose brace and starter heat shield to the block on my 84 6.2 L fell out and is lost. The GMC parts guys can't tell me the correct size bolt to replace it. Anybody know what size this bolt is? This time blue Loctite to hold it. Or would welcome any better method. And of course losing the bolt caused one of the starter bolts to shear off. Have taken care of that with helicoil and will loctite them.

Tnanks,
Lloyd

john8662
07-08-2014, 06:56
Metric 8MM x 1.25TP

It needs to be 3/4" long.

spiff
07-10-2014, 19:56
Thanks for the information John.
Back under it tomorrow.

Lloyd

joeq
07-12-2014, 17:23
When I 1st purchased my 83 dually,(it was 10 yrs old), it didn't have that front starter bracket. I never knew how important it was to have that starter secured "perfectly". I was breaking and replacing the bottom bolts constantly. The final fix was to install the "correct" grade 8 (I think) long and serrated bolts, and I drilled them and wired them. Then I found the frt bracket off a Pontiac eng. that caught the stud off the top frt of the starter case, and bolted to the block. Haven't had a problem in over 15 yrs. Not sure what the bolt size was, but see you've got your answer.