PDA

View Full Version : vibration / road noise

gary_lucas
06-30-2014, 22:23
Hi, I think this has been going on awhile.

But this weekend it started getting to me or it's getting worse.

In my 2004.5 duramax 2500hd Crew at around 80kph (50mph) I get allot of vibration in the cab, I can hear what sounds like clattering behind the steering wheel, however I have no steering issues. Steering / driving is still smooth.

This time I had a stroller and some other light stuff in the passenger seat and I could see it bouncing away... I guess seeing that made me realize how much it really does vibrate.

As I'm approaching 50mph it slowly gets worse, and then gets better around 60mph but never really goes away.

I did have the front lower passenger side ball joint done when I first got the truck, they aligned the tires when they were done. I got that done shortly after getting the truck and not sure if it vibrated before that. But I assume if it were a front end problem I'd know it.

I googled around and found other people have complained about the same thing.

It seems to be worse or at least not better when I'm towing my 5th wheel with an additional 1400lbs on the rear end...

Unfortunately the original owner heavily modified the exhaust, so it's not stock at all. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Gary

DmaxMaverick
06-30-2014, 22:35
1-piece or 2-piece drive shaft? Long bed or short?

[If 2-piece shaft] Crew cab should be a candidate for at least one solution. 4x4 short bed, should be eligible for a 1-piece drive shaft conversion (warranty). Long bed (or 4x2), the carrier bearing and isolator needs to be replaced. Minimal expense, either way.

If you already have a 1-piece shaft, it may be "frame beaming" causing the issue. Tire pressure (or tire selection) and/or spring adjustment/augmentation is about all you can do about that.

gary_lucas
06-30-2014, 22:36
googled this a little more and found this:
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=37501

Lol, google is a way better search engine than the forum search tool (go figure).

Ok, so I need to get a pile of weight in the back end to check this out. Would be great if that was the issue.

G

gary_lucas
07-01-2014, 10:59
1-piece or 2-piece drive shaft? Long bed or short?

[If 2-piece shaft] Crew cab should be a candidate for at least one solution. 4x4 short bed, should be eligible for a 1-piece drive shaft conversion (warranty). Long bed (or 4x2), the carrier bearing and isolator needs to be replaced. Minimal expense, either way.

If you already have a 1-piece shaft, it may be "frame beaming" causing the issue. Tire pressure (or tire selection) and/or spring adjustment/augmentation is about all you can do about that.

how do I find out if it's a one piece or a 2 piece drive shaft?

It's a 4x4 crew cab short bed.

I thought based on the notice I attached about frame beaming that there was a fix for it?

Thanks allot :)

G

More Power
07-01-2014, 12:58
how do I find out if it's a one piece or a 2 piece drive shaft?

It's a 4x4 crew cab short bed.

I thought based on the notice I attached about frame beaming that there was a fix for it?

Thanks allot :)

G

Crawl under the rear of the truck. The 2-piece rear driveshafts had 3 u-joints between the tailshaft housing on the txfer case or transmission and the rear differential.

Also, the 1-piece rear shaft is made from aluminum..

Jim

gary_lucas
07-14-2014, 11:55
Looks like a 2 piece, so much crap under the truck it's not obvious.

However my mechanic did run the tires on his machine and the right rear was pretty wobbly... And their basically down to the wear marks.

He strongly suggests not towing with them until their replaced.

Will update when I get a new set of tires.

G

DmaxMaverick
07-14-2014, 16:41
It's impossible to diagnose a vibration or other suspension problem with "wobbly" tires. And, yeah, I wouldn't tow with it either.

With the 2-piece shaft, the carrier bearing and isolator (mounted parts between the 2 drive shafts) are likely well past due for replacement, if it hasn't been. If they are bad, it's probably the primary cause for the vibration. The bad tire(s) don't help, either.

gary_lucas
07-14-2014, 16:46
welp, got a new set of 265 cooper discover A/T3's

The wobble is completely gone :)

Thanks all

G