PDA

View Full Version : non or turbo injectors

3ace
06-17-2014, 19:43
I'm installing a pulled military 6.2L out of a Hummer into my 1991 Chevy Suburban and I'm going to also add a Banks Sidewinder Turbo.
My question is do I want to use non turbo or turbo injectors?
What would be the pros and cons?
Thanks.
Merrill

Yukon6.2
06-18-2014, 07:52
Hi
I have turbo 6.5 injectors in my NA 6.2 and they work fine.I did put a new pump on at the same time.
The turbo injectors pop off at a higher pressure,i believe around 2200 psi and NA ones around 1700 psi.
The main thing is to get good injectors.I bought a set that were advertised as OEM off ebay.They came in white box's and would only fit one of the heads of my 6.2.They were from china,junk!!!!
For everyday driving you probably never know if you have turbo or NA injectors.To utilize the turbo ones to their design you would need a matching 6.5 Turbo injector pump,pyrometer,and after cooler.
Thomas

3ace
06-18-2014, 08:15
Hi
I have turbo 6.5 injectors in my NA 6.2 and they work fine.I did put a new pump on at the same time.
The turbo injectors pop off at a higher pressure,i believe around 2200 psi and NA ones around 1700 psi.
The main thing is to get good injectors.I bought a set that were advertised as OEM off ebay.They came in white box's and would only fit one of the heads of my 6.2.They were from china,junk!!!!
For everyday driving you probably never know if you have turbo or NA injectors.To utilize the turbo ones to their design you would need a matching 6.5 Turbo injector pump,pyrometer,and after cooler.
Thomas

Thomas,
You da man! :) Will stick with non because at this time I don't want to add on 6.5 Turbo injector pump and after cooler.
Mahalo.

Yukon6.2
06-23-2014, 00:48
Hi 3ace
Just to clarify,i have 6.5 turbo injectors with my 6.2 Mil spec pump.
Foe everyday driving you will probably never notice any difference
Thomas

3ace
06-23-2014, 02:29
Hi 3ace
Just to clarify,i have 6.5 turbo injectors with my 6.2 Mil spec pump.
Foe everyday driving you will probably never notice any difference
Thomas

I asked my diesel mechanic about which ones to use and his opinion was to use the turbo injectors but didn't mention anything about I had to use a 6.5 turbo injection pump. I picked up brand new set of eight 6.5 turbo injectors on eBay for $280. Hope they work out as they're made in Canada. He also had remanufactured 6.5 Turbo Injectors with new Bosch Injectors for $241.

DmaxMaverick
06-23-2014, 11:28
Something to keep in mind.....

The 6.2 pumps (whether OEM or Mil-spec), are designed to operate at 6.2L pop pressure. The 6.5L injectors operate at 3-500 PSI higher, which places a significantly higher load on the pump. The 6.2 pumps are not designed to operate at this pressure, and will fail prematurely when operated at the higher pressure. If you're using 6.5L injectors, you should also use the 6.5L pump, EFI or MFI. The Mil-spec pump is designed to manage a greater range of fuel quality variations, NOT higher pressure, and NOT greater performance. Any 6.2L pump can be built to Mil-spec using the "hardened" parts, but cost vs. advantage usually negates the need. Although, the current questionable quality (lubricity) of commercially available fuels may encourage me to give it further thought.

Robyn
06-26-2014, 08:14
I agree with Maverick on the injectors.

Keep the pop pressure in the 6.2 spec range.

Another good idea is to make sure that all 8 injectors are very close to each other as far as pop pressure goes.

This keeps cyl to cyl timing close, and eliminates a lot of unwanted stress on the crankshaft.

Good luck

Robyn

3ace
06-28-2014, 00:35
I agree with Maverick on the injectors.

Keep the pop pressure in the 6.2 spec range.

Another good idea is to make sure that all 8 injectors are very close to each other as far as pop pressure goes.

This keeps cyl to cyl timing close, and eliminates a lot of unwanted stress on the crankshaft.

Good luck

Robyn

So I should NOT use the 6.5 turbo injectors and stick with 6.2 NA's injectors with my 6.2, is that correct? Unless I upgrade to a 6.5 turbo injector? Worst case scenario how long will my 6.2 NA injection pump last should I decide to use the 6.5 turbo injectors that I have on hand?
Thanks.