PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E source.

56pan
04-27-2014, 13:01
I have a '93 C2500, 6.5TD and 4L80E. TCM is setting a code for TCC slippage and I can see it happen with the Genisys scanner I have. Code is supposed to set after >200 rpm slippage for more than 2 seconds. Up any slight incline, 4th gear, TCC engaged, that's exactly what's happening. TC command signal is at 99% during the slippage, which is normal. TC clutch is gone. This is a Jasper rebuilt 4L80E that I paid a lot of money for and it only has 50,000 miles on it. Out of warranty on time. I have kept the fluid/filter changed regularly. I have to tow a car carrier (with car) from NC to NM later this year and I would very much appreciate any advice, from personal experience, of which vendors sell a strong enough
4L80E for towing. A trans. cooler will be installed after I get the new trans. (I know, I should have already done that). Been doing internet searches, and there is such a multitude of vendors that I'd like to hear from someone who has had good results from one of them. Thanks to all for your time and any help.

rustyk
04-28-2014, 08:50
I had my 4L80E rebuilt/uprated at Suncoast Converters in Ft. Walton Beach, FL. With the upgraded TC and machined spline, the price was around $5400 in '10. The tranny was removed/reinstalled around the corner at Webb Transmissions, and that was included in the price. 35,000 trouble-free miles on it.

More Power
04-28-2014, 10:20
I'd be inclined to try another quality TC - assuming there's isn't a lot of junk in the transmission from worn clutches.

56pan
04-28-2014, 10:48
Thanks both of you for the time and input. If I had the time, I'd pull the trans. and put on a new converter. If the trans. wasn't contaminated with clutch funk, like was said. Problem is, I work away from home 4 wks out of every 6, and when I get home there's just too much on the must do list for me to take time for the trans. problem. I figure to have one shipped and be there when I get back, and take it to a guy I know to swap it out. But $5400 seems very high to me? I'm hoping to keep it inside 3,000.

arveetek
04-28-2014, 11:36
I've heard good things about Bowtie Overdrives, but I have no personal dealings with them:

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog.php?Action=GETSUBCAT&CATID=ZA

Casey

rustyk
04-30-2014, 11:37
I'm hoping to keep it inside 3,000.

I had the tranny uprated to accommodate the new engine's output. A standard rebuild with the Suncoast TC would be less, as would doing the removal/reinstall yourself.

16gaSxS
05-01-2014, 10:48
Last year the Auto Transmixer (4L80E) went out in my 1994 Blazer 6.5TD I went to a local Transmission shop I trust and the owner quoted me $1800-$4000 depending on whats wrong with the it.:eek: He suggest looking into a GM transmission as it comes with the latest and greatest updates plus a 3yr backing at any GM dealership. So I checked GM Parts Direct and the price was just under $2100 plus shipping. I walked over to the GMC dealer 3 blocks from my office talked with the Parts Manager. I told him I wanted a GM Tranny and would rather buy it from him if he could come close to the Internet price. The price was exactly what GM Parts Direct charged plus no shipping and the dealer delivered it to the Tranny shop and picked up the core from them. The shop charged me $600 for the install,no headaches. :D

I would do it that way again if the Transmixer takes a dump on my 1995 C-2500.

56pan
05-01-2014, 11:31
Yeah, 16ga, that's what I decided to do yesterday. Ordered a GM rebuilt trans. from my local Chevy dealer. $1950, and the shop I trust will swap it out for $422. Figured that if it died somewhere between NM and NC, I'd have the local GM dealer to take it to. 3 yr., 100,000 warranty and I'm okay with that. Thanks again to all for their time and helpful comments.