PDA

View Full Version : FSD Where to mount it

Chuck1
05-17-2005, 16:31
My FSD went out on my 94 TD6.5 . I ve been trying to diside where to mount it .I phoned standyne and they say the only way they will cover it is if it is mounted on the pump.I was just wondering if I could get some feed back on where others have mounted theres. And how many miles they have been there with no troubles.The one that just died on my pump lasted 100000klm.But it just seems to me it should be cooler out of that valley and last at least As long as the pump

steve-r
05-17-2005, 16:53
out of the valley . i moved my fsd cooler in front of the rad using JK's extension.

a5150nut
05-17-2005, 17:39
Mount it on a cooler on the head wall just in front of your left battery. One hole there already, just add a second and tap to fit. I made my own wire extention.

JeffsTowTruck
05-17-2005, 18:49
mine has been on the left apron for about a year now.. see photos..

99gmccrew
05-17-2005, 20:51
Nice photos Jeff. I had my cooler mounted there for a while. I was advised to move it completely out of the engine compartmnet and behind the front bumper by Heath Diesel. It made a huge difference in the actual tempurature after driving. I found that the heat sink was actually absorbing the heat inside the engine compartment and working as a heat sponge. There was no where for the heat to dissipate to. It now gets a cool supply of fresh air to keep it cool.

sturgeon-phish
05-17-2005, 22:48
Mine is behind the bumper slightly angled down on an aluminum plate, Bill Heath's kit. After a long drive the FSD is still cool enough you can hold your hand on it.

JeffsTowTruck
05-18-2005, 02:14
I basicly put mine there because that was how long the pigtail ext. was that came w/the kit.
I have never checked it to see if it was cool or not after driving.
Im just happy it fixed my IP problems. smile.gif

Hubert
05-18-2005, 03:11
I just mounted mine like Jeff's photos Even a larger heat sink (drivers side fender between brake controls and fender).

I trimmed some of the insulation and there are a few holes in the fender to help cool it but it doesn't cool sitting still with A/C on. I don't necessarily like it there. Bill recommened outside the engine compartment. I do to now. I will try and fab something else up as soon as possible but have to replace clutch first UHHHGGGG dang it!

Its fine if you are driving along cooler air moves through the engine compartment and flushes heat somewhat. I drove it and a mix city hwy and checked and its cooler than in the valley or on top of intake (by feel) but Sitting still the fan pulls air through radiator and EVERYTHING in the engine compartment gets hot.

I haven't measured it yet but try it yourself. Drive your truck til normal temp then park it in the sun turn A/C on full max and let it idle for good long time 15-20 minutes to simulate rush hour traffic at a stand still. Then pop the hood and touch ANYTHING ANYWHERE it will be hot! I am running ~180F thermostats and thats what the factory guage reads. Its just the warm air from the fan blowing warm air over the hot engine and the heat is relatively trapped in the cramped engine compartment and everything gets hot (uncomfortable to touch anything anywhere!). Now imagine towing or higher T-stats.

Now I fully understand all the hubub about cool air intake and intercoolers (even ignoring temp rise with boost etc)!!! Try it! It is a real eye opener!

FYI Heath will build an extention of your desired length at a reasonable price. If I can't come up with something comparable I will buy his mount too.

Hubert

Bulls99Sub
05-18-2005, 05:35
Anyone have any experience with the SSDiesel kit mounted on top of the intake? Installing some kind of heat sink and mounting in any remote location has got to be better than stock.

Thanks, Bull

Chuck1
05-18-2005, 06:42
I,m thinking of mounting the heat sink on the frame rail by the lift pump . Has any one else tryed this spot.I,d mount on the skid plate but with my heat sink it would be to ugly

Chuck1
05-18-2005, 06:45
I,m thinking of mounting the heat sink on the frame rail by the lift pump . Has any one else tryed this spot.I,d mount on the skid plate but with my heat sink it would be to ugly

JohnC
05-18-2005, 06:49
Originally posted by Bulls99Sub:
Anyone have any experience with the SSDiesel kit mounted on top of the intake? I bought a used Beta cooler with FSD, mileage unknown, mounted it on the manifold, and ran it for about 80,000 miles. The FSD failed last year. I just replaced it with a new one from John Kennedy. It was the path of least resistance...

Marty Lau
05-18-2005, 07:30
Originally posted by Bulls99Sub:
Anyone have any experience with the SSDiesel kit mounted on top of the intake? Installing some kind of heat sink and mounting in any remote location has got to be better than stock.

Thanks, Bull The SS Diesel is simular to the orginal Beta cooler which I tried and I fried a FSD in 30,000 miles and other folks have too 25-60,000 miles. Others are still driving with the Beta mounting on the intake with no problem. IMNSHO I would NOT do a intake install. It is easrier to change out replacement drivers there. :rolleyes:

dslpwr
05-18-2005, 09:15
I have Bill Heath unit mounted on top of transmission cross menber for two years now with no problems

rjwest
05-18-2005, 12:41
Inside the cab, over the thottle pedal, with Air conditioned air blowing on it. Can idle all day and not get hot..

Plus I can change it Real Fast . Carry the spare
in the center console...

Fastest PMD changer in the East!!!!!!

JohnC
05-18-2005, 12:56
OK, RJ. If it works so good, how did you get to be so good at changing it?

:D

Chuck1
05-18-2005, 15:37
dslpwr How is yours fastened to the trany mount that sounds like a good place to .Does it seem to stay cool to the touch there.And do you have an auto trany.

rjwest
05-19-2005, 12:46
JohnC, retesting the FSD's I accumulated before I found out the IP was also bad....

AND Testing a bunch of FSD's the Standyne shop gave me.

AND Testing some cables that I made for a few friends.
Man , I gotta get a life....

dslpwr
05-19-2005, 13:52
Hey Chuck, I drilled 4 holes using alltread and about 1 1/2 spacers so air can blow through. It is a autmantic and it runs cool.

I have 50,000 miles with no problem.

Turbine Doc
05-19-2005, 16:23
Heath unit mounted on front bumper, modded the front tag mount so FSD is pointed toward bumper, tag and back side of plate facing forward act as armor for the driver

bigmikestud
05-20-2005, 10:38
SSDiesel FSD/Cooler intake manifold mounted......less than a year on new FSD, 20,000 miles maybe. Couldn't believe the short lifespan so I installed 3 other FSD's (eBay "tested" units) with mixed results to see if they acted the same. One starts and runs, one won't start and one needs an a$$ kicking for freaky behavior. Of all the FSD stalling problems they all seem to act differently when they flip-out. New FSD installed today but was getting close to trying new Sol-D unit. Would like to mount cooler very remotely or Sol-D up front or in cab with fan. Looking for remote harness ($90 seems like dry rape), any suggestions on more reasonable harness?

rjwest
05-20-2005, 13:41
I went through 3 FSD's before I realized I had a
Bad FSD along with a bad IP.

At 46k miles truck would not start, or would run a few seconds, like air locked.. after
several days of not starting 1 morning and than starting the next I determined that the FSD was Bad, I replaced the pump FSD with a remote
mounted FSD(#1),

truck would now run except I had a few fishbites and than intermittent " Quits " (48-50K miles}
Replaced FSD(#2) and moved remote mount to cab.

Truck ran better, with very rare fishbite, than
1 morning i had 2 " Quits within 30 minutes.
Went to standyne dealer, No Codes, Guessed
FSD, Replaced FSD(#3),

Ran for about 8 months, experienced a Quit "
Than about another 6 months " single " quit '
Chev dealer found " inj pulse to short "
said he would change pump, Had to get home,
and figured local dealer would do it , sure )

Ran good for almost a year ( very very intermittent fishbite, and slight miss at
low rpm)

Than on a trip West, experienced " Quits" each morning with a few " quits in VERY hot temperatures...By now I new it was not FSD
problem AS i enough spares to swap while still experiencing same condition.

Replaced IP in Montana ( Gomer, Rocky Mt Diesel)

That was at 70k miles, no problems since.

Retested all FSD's 2 would run after siting in box for a few months, 1 ran a few weeks 1 ran
few days. )

Results: Pump mounted FSD BAD

1st Remote FSD BAD

2nd FSD GOOD

3 rd FSD GOOD...

( Note : Also Had a Failed Fuel Shut Off
samewhere after FSD changed, Just would not start 1 morning, , by now I was getting smart, Wife turned key, no Noise at solenoid, ( OHMmeter test , "open"...varifyed by Standyne )

I know have 1 spare on pump, 1 running on remote mount ,1 in console, and 2 tested " ????? good from Standyne scrap box)

Just writing this gives me headache,,,

Note: Called GM, they re-imburssed me for cost
of having pump installed.. No questions asked , Go Figure??

Note2 :I AM REALLY PO'd at STEALLERS

Anyone want somemore " EBAY" spares : NO REFUNDS ****script:void(0)
Big Grin

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED:

1.READ DIESEL PAGE

2. REMOTE MOUNT THE FSD

3. CARRY A SPARE

Chuck1
05-20-2005, 18:16
Well I mounted the FSD on a heat sink on the front skid pan .I went for a hard drive and it doesn.t seem to be making any heat at all.Thats good ,I.m just surprised It,s not even warm.I got my wiring from heaths . The whole job looks real good.Any one out there have an idea how long the pump should last now that the FSD is cool and happy

bigmikestud
05-20-2005, 19:24
Thanks RJWEST, you are confirming my worries. Now that we're seeing 90 degree weather I'll get to do the IP in the driveway. By the way, you don't own RJWest Brake Lathes in Canada?

My new FSD will not start and I'm wondering if resistors are a problem to look at. The last two "used" FSD's would start and run with another resistor(#5) but I installed my #9 from the first replacement cooler/FSD combo and it won't start at all with the new FSD. I'll try other resistor tomorrow when I re-torque FSD and see if it works. I'm wondering about resistors being bad. The last two FSD's would start my rig and run with the #5 around town but the NIB FSD won't even start???? I hope this makes some since since I'm freshly ****ed again.

rjwest
05-21-2005, 09:18
suggest, go back to an fsd that starts truck,

change one thing at a time and restart truck.

I do not think resister will affect starting unless maybe if it was shorted...

Sometimes when repairing/swapping parts other
things break.

I would not mess with " unknown fsd's
unless the truck was running Well, and you just wanted to tes them, Caution, they fail at the most
unfriendly place possible....

Mounted on intake is not good, to much heat,
and cable needs to be streched to far..

You can build a cable , but it is rather envolved procee, ( cutting off connector from old fsd and getting male from Standyne...)
and than making a cable, This is not an easy task
and result could be more trouble than it is worth.
The 90 cable may seem expensive, but it is
a critical link in engine controls, . also
the tooling required for limited parts needs to be recovered.

Lastly: working in that area of IP, it is easy to
mess up the fuel solenoid/wiring...

If you are still having problems, I suggest new thread with Problem sumary to make it easer to respond.
Good Luck.

Oh: not the rich brake guy, just a poor old
retired , with to much time and to little money..

bigmikestud
05-22-2005, 06:46
Removed new FSD, traded #9 resistor for #5 and we're back in business. Started immediately and ran strong. The #9 is what I bought with my first FSD for this truck(year or so ago) and I've assumed nothing could be wrong. Now I want to check other FSD's that I've condemned........but not going to mess with a running rig now. $90 harness will be next purchase.

rjwest
05-22-2005, 13:25
Interesting: Can you ohm the #9 to see if it is shorted, I did not think the R value would prevent it from starting...

bigmikestud
06-02-2005, 08:42
Okay.......truck ran great for 5 days and won't start again. Coincidentally, it wouldn't start after rain again. If started and died, started and died then just turns over with no hint at a start. Had to charge the batteries to eliminate that problem and it just spins fast now. Brand new FSD/#5 resistor and I'm stumped, depressed and don't know where to look. Could the rain be causing some grounding issues? I need to check the grounds behind the trans dipstick, etc. but was wondering about a stuck Fuel Shut-Off Solenoid. I have a core IP I can steal one from to try.........any ideas?

20050627|3|008327|000043|65.183.99.20
06-02-2005, 09:45
For those who have it mounted on the skid plate, do you run off-road at all? I'm concerned with the cooler getting muddy/dusty in that location.

rjwest
06-02-2005, 12:55
bigmike, if you are messing with used FSD's,

You will drive your self nuts..

Many FSD's fix them self sitting on the shelf...

Run a day, a week, a month. But eventually quit.

I have tested and retested several. No pattern
on how long they run, I quick test is not enough.

And Yes , It could be a Fuel shut off, You may
have 2 problems at the same time...

bigmikestud
06-02-2005, 14:39
RJ,

This was a new FSD in the box. Dumb question: Take the plastic caps off the FSD or leave them on????

dslpwr
06-02-2005, 18:17
Originally posted by Tacklewasher:
For those who have it mounted on the skid plate, do you run off-road at all? I'm concerned with the cooler getting muddy/dusty in that location. I have mine under truck on top of transmission

dslpwr
06-02-2005, 18:25
For those who have it mounted on the skid plate, do you run off-road at all? I'm concerned with the cooler getting muddy/dusty in that location. I have mine under truck on top of transmission cross member for 2 years now. It been through high water with no problems

eracers999
06-02-2005, 18:29
You can see the heat sink out of a large stero i used over a year ago and almost 40k. (LH bumper hole) NEVER GETS HOT. Hope the link works.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/354930018/356336699qvlhHp

Kent

rjwest
06-03-2005, 10:48
Big Mike. Don't know about plastic transister caps, some say , take them off,

If you are still having problems, you can call me
904 230 8243 I also have a 96 and have the Manuals. Might want to check the fuses..

Do you have a scanner, may be some codes

Turbine Doc
06-05-2005, 14:22
For those who have it mounted on the skid plate, do you run off-road at all? I'm concerned with the cooler getting muddy/dusty in that location. I do some unimproved off-road driving not what one would call real 4 wheeling, my IC is where the plastic mud shield on mine/ metal skid plate on other model years would be.

If using a harness with Weather-Pak seals at driver like on a JK or Heath extension harness, moisture should not be a problem, I've got a year or so on my bumper mounted Heath one all weather conditions lot's of hiway speed driven rain.

Heath pots the driver to his cooler plate with an epoxy, he told me also one of his quality tests he ran; was to run submerged in water in a bucket in the bed for a year or more if I remember what he said correctly, and did not have a failure problem.

Chuck1
06-05-2005, 16:45
That might be the answer.I wounder where to mount the bucket

Chuck1
06-05-2005, 17:34
I,ve got one more thing I was wondering about.When I installed the new fsd I just plugged it in and it fired right up .But now from reading around it looks like I should have used a resistor.Do,s it go in the fsd plug .And do I really need it.It seems to run fine with out it ?

Turbine Doc
06-05-2005, 18:21
It should run without the resistor until you do a TDC offset learn as until that happens PCM has the value of the old one stored in it. I've also been told that after some number of starts it will self learn, I've never seen that happen myself.

This is why the Steak sauce "FUEL CONTROL" is a POS the incrimental fuel adjustment made by swapping resistors can't be made on the fly, you running without one is testimony to that.

Resistor is supposed to be there though, you need to fish the old one out and put it in your new FSD just in case the self learn story is true, you don't want to be stranded and not get started, once PCM figures out one isn't there you won't be able to restart without one.

Chuck1
06-06-2005, 06:02
Any one ever fished one of those out .I just need to know the easy way.

Turbine Doc
06-06-2005, 11:30
Straightened out bent into a U shape paper clip with small hook fashioned on the ends grab the small oval holes in the end of the resistor and pull up & out, if tight may have to grab a little side to side until you get it all the way out.

86bandit
06-07-2005, 03:58
Has anyone tried to move the FSD into the cowl area? Just a thought since it pulls fresh air when driving. Although replacement cable extensions are available what would be the problem with cutting the end off the factory connector and extending the wiring as necessary and putting the factory connector back on the FSD end? And for the gentlemen with the FSD mounted in the interior I would be very interested to see pictures of this.

rjwest
06-07-2005, 15:22
to get connector into cab.

drill two holes, side by side, file between, results Oval hole matches plug.