PDA

View Full Version : new to forum need starter helicoil size info - Bracket?

chevegan
03-30-2014, 19:35
hi all. Good to find these forums. I picked up this 86' 6.2l 3500 dump conversion and it has only one starter bolt. Figured that out when it ran the starter without turning the engine over.

Anyhow. I've done a lot of reading and these thread inserts seem to be the way to go. I Have the ac delco bolts ordered but just need to know what size helicoil I need to buy - M10?

Also some of these engines seem to use brackets, should mine have one? I didn't notice a spot for it.

Thanks for the help!

- Part numbers would be greatly appreciated. Especially if it needs a bracket.

Yukon6.2
03-30-2014, 20:23
Hi chevegan
Welcome to the Dieselpage
Yes you need the bracket,it attaches to the front of the starter on one of the bolts that goes through the starter.There are two different ones depending on the starter.You should see a bolt hole in the side of the block for the other end.
Are you sure you need to helicoil the holes? There is a section of the hole that has no threads,the original bolts have a knurled section that is supposed to keep the bolt from backing out.The original bolts are the best,again there are two different lengths depending on the starter.One starter is direct drive and the other has a gear reduction drive,and has a smaller body.
I can't help with part numbers for the brackets,but they should be on the page,so you should find them with a little searching.Or someone will chime in with them.
Have you removed the starter to inspect the holes?Most of the time the bolts will break off in the block if there is no bracket.If that has happened there will be a little work to remove,but again we are here to walk you through it if that's what happened.Do an inspection first with the starter removed and take it from there.
Good Luck
Thomas

chevegan
03-31-2014, 06:02
the bolt end is broken deep in the threaded section. i just hope it wasn't cross threaded in. I'll try the extraction tool first I suppose. Nothing to lose. :)

Dvldog8793
03-31-2014, 15:01
I have had the best luck with kroil penetrant and a left hand drill bit.
Good luck!

Yukon6.2
03-31-2014, 23:53
Yes on the left hand drill bit.They work great.Well worth the money if you don't have any.
Thomas

chevegan
04-02-2014, 10:03
awesome. Bought a set yesterday. Now if the weather would be better.