PDA

View Full Version : Stalling and Smoking now and then

gkegel
01-12-2005, 01:57
I'm new here. Read some but still confused.

I have a 97 GMC 6.5 116000 miles on it.
New lift pump, injector pump and new injectors installed at around 70000miles.
When pulling my 8300 lb 5th wheel up long steep hills it some times goes up and over with lots of power. Other times very little power and blows Black smoke. Then it will be good again later. Seems to be worse when it is hotted like above 70. Most of my trips to and from Alaska it is cool and not to bad.
Any body have any Ideas???
Next problem.
It starts fine when cold but after it is warm and is shut off for 10-15 minutes It will start then stall after a 1/2 a block or so. It seem to be a shorter distance all the time. And now some times it takes a lot of cranking to get going.
I see someone else say and OPD fixed that. Whats and OPD? and Cost? And how much work to install and where do I get it? Only from GM???
Any help you can give I'd be thankful for.
Thanks gkegel

BUZZ
01-12-2005, 04:32
The smoke and no power sounds a like a sticky boost control solenoid valve. This is a common item to replace. I have take mine off and cleaned with some WD 40 and extended the life a little. I then replaced with Turbo Master from heath.
The stall could be lots of things. Perform a search and you will find posts rtegarding the stall you have.
Good Luck
Buzz