PDA

View Full Version : Dipstick shows full but oil change warning

Bob E.
03-15-2014, 13:04
I had my oil changed at a "quik stop" station and they left the oil cap off. I discovered it the next day and there was no apparent oil anywhere around the engine or hood. The dipstick measured full but the DIC showed 12%. Now, a couple weeks later it shows 0% with the dipstick showing full. What to do?

Bob E

rapidoxidationman
03-15-2014, 13:17
What does the oil look like?
I'd be tempted to just reset the oil life meter and see what happens in a few weeks, keeping in mind that the actual life of the oil might be 10% less than what the meter says.. If it acts normally after a reset, then change the oil when it says 10% life remaining.

Did you put the 710 cap back on?

a5150nut
03-15-2014, 14:53
Did you put the 710 cap back on?

You must live with a blond too! :rolleyes::D

DmaxMaverick
03-15-2014, 15:10
The oil life monitoring system doesn't "know" when the oil is changed, unless someone resets it. Apparently they didn't. The oil level monitor is different, and only indicates a low level if, in fact, it is low, or the sensor or system fails, for whatever reason. The missing 710 had nothing to do with the DIC indications. Unless you have reason to believe the oil has been contaminated, I'd just replace the cap and move on.

The lack of a mess under the hood just means the engine isn't creating much blow-by, and the crankcase vent is working, which are good things.

Bob E.
05-10-2014, 10:28
I reset it and the oil life monitor started dropping again so I had it changed at the dealer. After the new oil chance and reset at 500 miles it showed 25% and after 900 miles 0%. I couldn't find any info the oil level monitor unless that is the dipstick which shows full.

TIA,
Bob

dually2002
05-10-2014, 10:54
Possibly has the wrong grade oil in it. I wouldn't chance it and change the oil and put the right type oil in it.

DmaxMaverick
05-10-2014, 10:58
The "Oil Life Monitor" has NO relation to the level of oil in the oil pan. If the oil life is zero, regardless of how/why it indicates zero, checking the "LEVEL" of oil on the dipstick means nothing other than the quantity of oil. An indicator of "LOW OIL" would be different, but that IS NOT what you are experiencing. You should routinely check the oil dipstick, but not in any relation to the "Oil Life Monitor" unless you are in process of a service/change. If the monitor is not reset at the time of a change, it will continue to calculate remaining life as if it was never changed, AND, if it is reset when the oil is not changed, it will calculate as if you just changed. Unless you reset the monitor at the time of a change, you'll have to "guess" as to what the life percentage really means, or just track your mileage and service it in a more traditional manner (and reset the monitor when it shows up). Unless and until a service is performed, and the Oil Life Monitor is reset at the same time, it will not be accurate.

The computer does not "know" when the oil is/was physically changed. It only knows what you tell it, and it calculates the oil life according to the conditions, assuming the oil was changed at the time it was reset. It's no more complicated than that.

The "Oil LEVEL Monitor" is an actual sensor located in the oil pan that will indicate if the oil level falls below a specific level, and has NOTHING to do with the "Oil Life Monitor". They operate independent of one another, and don't share input/output.

cabletech
05-10-2014, 12:51
I would take it back to the dealer that did the oil change. The oil life monitor system does not know what type/viscosity the oil is, so that should have nothing to do with it.

Jay

Bob E.
05-10-2014, 13:07
I did not state my last post very well. After all the posts about the oil cap being left off, I had the oil changed at the dealer and they reset the OLM. I checked it after I drove 500 miles and the OLM showed 25%; after I drove 900 miles it showed 0. I know the OLM was 100% 900 miles ago; does this indicate there is a problem with the OLM or is the oil getting contaminated?

DmaxMaverick
05-10-2014, 13:39
Cabletech has the best advice. Take it back to the dealer. Something is seriously wrong with the system, or they serviced it with the wrong oil. 100-0% in 900 miles isn't anything resembling normal. Be sure to keep a sample of the oil for yourself. If they used the wrong oil and damage has resulted, you'll want that handy.

rapidoxidationman
05-10-2014, 18:28
Pointed question to clear up any confusion: Are you certain that the oil life monitor was reset to 100% after the dealer changed the oil? 900 miles on a complete oil change does show the computer's calculator is off... Maybe one of the sensor inputs is bad.

From my Alldata subscription (mods, delete this if I'm overstepping the bounds of copyright...)

WHEN TO CHANGE ENGINE OIL
Your vehicle has a computer system that lets you know when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change will be indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, you must reset the system every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. A "CHANGE ENGINE OIL" message will come on. Change your oil as soon as possible within the next 600 miles (1 000 km). It is possible that, if you are driving under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, your engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. It is also important to check your oil regularly and keep it at the proper level.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, you must change your oil at 3,000 miles (5 000 km) since your last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed.

Bob E.
05-10-2014, 19:15
I am positive it was reset. I looked at the OLM the first thing when I picked up the vehicle. I will take it back to the GM dealer that did the oil change and see what they say and report back.

Bob E.
05-13-2014, 11:55
I just got back from the dealer and not a happy camper. One of the advisers that appeared to be quite sharp was on vacation the the other one I know was not available. The one I spoke to, I told him about the early miles to get to 0% and the change oil message appearing on the DIC. He said they would put it on the diagnostic computer and it was probably a sensor that was malfunctioning.
When I picked it up, the message was "customer concern not duplicated. Inform customer to bring vehicle back if light comes on early, and not to reset so we can diag.
The SA called the technician and he said the light was not on. We went to the truck and the oil life showed 100% and of course the light was not on. After further conversation he stated it was just a matter of the computer recording the miles until the appropriate time to display the message.
Should I print out what RIPDOXMAN wrote from Alldata and take it to the service manager, or take it to the SA and see if he can take it to a different tech or.....

Bob

GM Customer Service
05-13-2014, 13:10
Hi Bob E,

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your last visit at your local dealership and that you continuing to experience an issue with your vehicle. I would be happy to look into this concern. Please contact via private message if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care