PDA

View Full Version : Check eng. Oil level

markelectric
02-18-2014, 16:27
Has been displayed a lot lately. The level is correct and has not changed by reading the dipstick. The message usually comes on at about 20 degrees or at 40 degrees when wet outside. What type signal is the computer looking for? Is this going open? Is this a grounding out problem? Any Ideas?

2001 Chevy 2500hd 289000 miles new head gaskets a year ago 4 new injectors 3 months ago

DmaxMaverick
02-18-2014, 16:48
Mine's been on/off for 5-6 years. It comes on just often enough to remind me to check. The sensor is on the oil pan, driver side toward the rear. You can remove it during a drain session and clean it. I cleaned mine and the problem stopped for a year or so, then back to the same on/off. Others have replaced them, only to see the same issue after a couple/few years. Some have never had an issue, but then they don't really know if it's working.

markelectric
02-18-2014, 16:59
What happens if it is unplugged?

DmaxMaverick
02-18-2014, 17:07
I tried that early on, but don't remember the result. It's a passive indicator, so there will be no PCM intervention because of it. The PCM will shut down the engine if the pressure is too low, but takes no action for the level sensor.

More Power
02-21-2014, 10:33
The message usually comes on at about 20 degrees or at 40 degrees when wet outside.

The electrical connector for the oil level sensor is somewhat exposed to the environment. While all electrical connectors under the hood are designed to resist water entry, it might be worth your time to have a look at the electrical connector to see whether there is any moisture or corrosion inside the connector. Jim