PDA

View Full Version : Water in fuel light stays on

djmc902
02-14-2014, 21:00
I have bled both fuel tanks, changed both filters & water in fuel light still stays on...I have a 1983 6.2L Chevroler K10 4X4 ,any suggestions, thanks !!

Robyn
02-14-2014, 21:36
Hi and welcome to TDP

Toss the filter/fuel manager, install a Racor filter assembly with a clear water bowl/trap and be done with it.

Likely the water sensor or its module is fouled.

The Racor unit has a lovely water bowl on the bottom that you can see when you open the hood to check the oil, good to go.

The bowl has a drain and you can drain any water easily.

Missy

djmc902
02-15-2014, 21:50
Thanks, where is best place to get that & how much, thanks !!

Robyn
02-16-2014, 10:43
Most good auto part houses can get you a Racor filter

I use a 230R2 Racor

This is a 2 micron filter (R2)
The factory filters are a 5 micron

About $100 on ebay

Give ebay a shot, lots of listings

Missy

john8662
02-18-2014, 07:42
In an 1983 there are two filters, one of the firewall and another in the valley of the engine under the air filter assembly.

The water in fuel sensor is in the tank, not on the fuel filter assembly as indicated above by Robyn.

I'll have to see what I can dig up on troubleshooting this one.

J

Robyn
02-19-2014, 09:03
Ohhhhhh !@#$% THATS RIGHT.

The early trucks had the 2 spin on type filters.

Considering that your rig has 2 tanks, then there has to be 2 water sensors.

If the condition just happened all at once and does it on both tanks, then it may well be one of two things, both tanks picked up enough water to trigger the sensor, or possibly the WIF control module has left for greener pastures.

Have you tried running a hose into the tanks and pumping them out.

Getting the rig on a slope so the water flows to a corner, end or ??? and then working a hose in and pumping with a universal electric pump will certainly allow you to see whats in there.

Over time, there can be a fair collection of water due to many reasons.

If the WIFS is howling, then you should see water in the primary filter. (try draining it through the petcock and see)

If there is no water showing up, then my gut feeling is that the WIFS module is the culprit.

See what John digs up and go from there.

Missy

Subzilla
02-19-2014, 11:06
My WIF light has stayed on since I replaced the engine last summer. My guess is it sat in the garage for some 8 months untouched and the sensor crapped up. Don't want to drop the tank just to fix this.

My '83 Sub has a separate petcock that sits on the frame inside the wheel well of the rear passenger side. I understand there is a line leading down to the bottom of the tank - someone once told me. I can attach a hose at this point and suck out any bad stuff. My '86 K5 doesn't have this. Seems like a smart thing to have...

djmc902
02-21-2014, 21:47
On my 83 with 2 tanks how do you replace the WIF sensor, if it is in the tank...WIF is not making any noises, & no water comes out of the primary filter, just clean diesel....I always use fuel treatment & sometimes put in transmission fluid in the tanks about a half quart....