PDA

View Full Version : White smoke at idle and I belive while driving

jess6369
02-11-2014, 14:42
Hi guys,

I've got a 1994 OBD1 k2500 8 lug with the 6.5 diesel "F" engine.

I recently replaced the valve cover gasket on the driver side and had to remove the fuel lines to that side and the intake manifold.

Ever since then the truck has had white smoke coming out of the exhaust in a pretty decent cloud at idle. It may do it while accelerating but you can't see it as well.

The engine doesn't seem to be shaking excessively or misfiring but it does shake the truck a little at idle.

No check engine codes or anything, fuel mileage seems a little low compared to before too.

Exhaust smells like diesel.

Removed turbo to check for oil leaking into intake and it smoked the same amount.

Also the engine seems to never reach closed loop, the coolant is still fine to touch after idling for 10 minutes and revving to 2000 rpm for 30+ seconds.

Since I've got the truck I've only seen the temperature gauge reach 210 a few times on long trips or while offroading.

It also has a small clear puddle under it from something leaking, appears to be falling between the engine oil pan and transmission (nv4500 manual). Does diesel appear clear and a little oily to the touch?

Thanks for any tips.

Robyn
02-11-2014, 18:23
If you had the fuel lines off, there exists a very real chance that you mixed up two lines.

Cyl 2 and 6 may have become swapped at the pump.

Here is a piccy looking at the head of the IP where the lines hook up.

If you removed any more lines, then check the locations.

A mixed line set is the most common cause of what you describe after removing lines to do a VC

Hope this helps

Missy

jess6369
02-13-2014, 18:26
Okay thank you I appreciate it.

I found another leak from the lines coming from the pmd so I'll be removing the intake manifold this weekend and fixing that. I'll make sure the lines are where there supposed to go.

I also started running 1/2 ounce of 5w20 motor oil for every gallon of gas and it really made the engine run smoother.

DmaxMaverick
02-13-2014, 19:59
If using "heavy" oil in the fuel improves the running quality, it's a fairly good indicator your injection pump is getting weak (it's actually a diagnostic tool). If you want to continue using oil in your fuel, I suggest adding outboard 2-cycle oil instead of engine oil. It's just as slippery and thick, but it's formulated to burn in an internal combustion engine. Engine oil, ATF, and the likes are formulated to NOT burn, and will leave behind significantly greater unfavorable deposits.

Fuel leaks on the high pressure side (between the IP and injectors) will retard timing, cause rough running, and can cause white smoke. Leaks on the supply side (between the tank and IP) with a weak/bad fuel lift pump can cause similar symptoms (air in the system).

phantom309
02-13-2014, 22:22
Robyn is right on,. you have a loose injector line at the bottom of the cluster on the pump end,. it's dripping into the valley then running down the back of the block (there is a drain hole at the back of the valley)
this lowers the injection pressures,. so you get delayed squirt with low pressure, thats the white smoke,.

nick

jess6369
02-17-2014, 14:05
Found the problem!

Took off the intake manifold and 2 of the fuel lines were switched around in the injection pump. One of them was leaking too probably.

Got them switched back and then noticed the coolant crossover was leaking so I took it off and replaced the gasket and then tightened it...and cracked it.

New one of those is on the way and I should be up and running.

I will switch over to 2 stroke oil as well.

Thank you guys!

Robyn
02-18-2014, 09:13
Glad things came together, sorry about the crack, it happens.

Swapped lines is a very common issue.

When I pull lines, I always keep them in the pairs they came in and only remove the entire set.

Its always handy to have a diagram handy too.

A real spiffy way to tighten the lines that are tougher to get WRENCH on is to use a CROW FOOT and a 3/8 break bar.

The small size of the 3/8 breaker is perfect to use with the crow foot, and also the swivel allows you to get a reasonable angle when tightening the fittings.

If you look at the lines, there are some that are a BITCH to get a real good purchase on with the wrench, buttttttttttttttt, if you fiddle with the order in which you install the lines, you can gitterdone handily.

Good luck

Missy