PDA

View Full Version : P400 balance issue

okadoc
02-07-2014, 22:53
G'day from down under folks, I have just received a new P400 cobra complete drop in engine fan to flywheel, the flywheel is for a manual and I am going auto 4L80E , the existing flywheel has been balanced. The question is by changing to a flexi drive plate what balance problems if any will exist by doing so. HELP.

okadoc
02-08-2014, 20:53
thanks guys the balanced flexi drive plate will be balanced and position pin locator , I got it now any info on intercooler size optimum and reliable quality suppliers would be welcome , happy travel in oz some day

john8662
02-10-2014, 08:53
These engines are externally balanced. The correct 4L80E flexplate will have the correct balancing weight on it for use with the 6.5L Engine (P400 as well).

J

More Power
02-10-2014, 10:54
thanks guys. any info on intercooler size optimum and reliable quality suppliers would be welcome , happy travel in oz some day

Generally, the intercooler size should be the largest that will fit within the space you have for it. Bigger is better, but don't compromise other factors too much.

Begin by measuring the space you have for an intercooler. It should be positioned in unrestricted airflow - such as in front of the radiator but can be behind an air conditioning condenser. The various 6.5 IC kits that have been on the market since the 1990s positioned it below the front bumper at an angle. Not a good place for a brush beater, but it can work fine for everyone else - though the engine driven fan doesn't pull air through it.

Spend some time on Google or Bing, searching for intercooler components. You can buy IC cores, piping, hoses and clamps that can be used to make your own kit. The commercial 6.5 IC kits that have been on the market sold for about $1500US. Piecing together an IC on your own can result in a "just as good" kit for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.

We produced an article a few years ago that shows how to create your own intercooler kit. That article is now available in the "6.5L Turbo Diesel Volume III". To see a table of contents for that book, visit: http://www.thedieselpage.com/65bookiii.htm