PDA

View Full Version : which Alternator?

rsbrx
01-28-2014, 23:06
Hi, I am getting ready to replace my serpentine belt and was wondering if some one out there could tell me which alternator I have by a vin look up. I think its got a sticker on it but cant get to it as its on the bottom and no room (even with a mirror). The alternator it self has a code stamp on the top in the body that is DR446 but not sure if that helps. Thanks much in advance.

DmaxMaverick
01-28-2014, 23:51
The DR44G (not DR446) is the "standard" 105 amp, 130mm alternator. Not an "oversize", as far as the belt goes.

rsbrx
01-28-2014, 23:56
thanks a bunch!

More Power
01-29-2014, 13:39
Hi, I am getting ready to replace my serpentine belt and was wondering if some one out there could tell me which alternator I have by a vin look up. I think its got a sticker on it but cant get to it as its on the bottom and no room (even with a mirror). The alternator it self has a code stamp on the top in the body that is DR446 but not sure if that helps. Thanks much in advance.

Curious why you're replacing the belt.

These belts were designed to last beyond 100k miles. The service manual shows what to look for when deciding when to replace it. Basically, it's OK if there are cracks in the V peaks on the rubber, but it needs to be replaced if there are missing pieces of the rubber.

Get a genuine OE belt when you do replace it. A cheap import is not a wise investment. Jim

Kennedy
01-29-2014, 13:40
Check the idler pulleys while you are at it. They are typically pretty dry feeling at 90k.

rsbrx
01-29-2014, 20:39
Its the orginal that came from the factory has almost 99,000 miles on it and is starting to make some noise.

rsbrx
01-29-2014, 20:45
At least something is making some noise. I suspected either the belt or an ideler. I bought one ideler pully but there are two right? And the one on the tensioner? Thought I would have all three on hand just in case.

Kennedy
01-30-2014, 10:40
Two idlers one tensioner and belt. Good for peace of mind.

We have an inexpensive aftermarket belt that has preformed exceptionally well over the years and we stock the GM/AC pulleys and idler.